User Notes Across Different Texts....?

timothylfox

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help and patience toward me! I'm new to the User Notes feature and am having a bit of a hard time. I've taken a bunch of notes in the Charlesworth Pseudepigrapha modules. Now I've made a note in the Philo module. However, once I've done that, my user notes file (as accessed through the library) gets a bit strange, in that the "notes order" only allows me to order them according to the various pseudepigrapha modules. Is there a way to display all notes from all modules in one window? Or do I need to have a notes file for every distinct set of modules (i.e., one for OT, one for NT, one for Philo, one for Pseudepigrapha, etc.)?

Thanks!

Tim

PS See attached screenshot of my odd notes order:

post-31668-0-12377800-1436443208_thumb.png

One of the advantages of the new User Notes is that they span multiple texts and tools. Nevertheless, they remain User Notes, which means they are organized canonically: text (or tool), book, chapter, verse.

If you open you Note in a parallel pane, it will only address the text in the main pane.

If you open it directly from the Library (in its own tab or zone), it will display all your comments for very text and tool.

I hope this answers your question.

Dear Dr. J,

Thanks for this — I now see how I can directly open the notes for whichever text/tool I have open. However, I still can't see how to organize the notes' left-hand column according to different "canons"—how do I get it back to displaying each text from the Pseudepigrapha? Since adding the Philo notes, that left-hand column now gives a bunch of strange titles for the Pseudepigrapha notes, esp. ones like "Other" and "Philo Other." (as in the screenshot posted above.) It does this even when I start out from a Pseudepigrapha tab. 

Thanks!

Tim

Sorry, Tim, I'm out of my depth here.

I haven't taken notes on Pseud. or Philo texts. The "other" really has me confused, too.

Maybe someone else here on the forums can help.

Tim, I can definitely reproduce this issue, and I'd definitely call it a bug that will be fixed.  We'll take a look!

• Like 3

Dear Joel,

Thanks! Do you know when this will happen? I notice that something similar happens when I add a note from GNT-T: the Pseudepigrapha titles disappear from the left-hand sidebar and/or they get categorized under new and weird titles. 

11.0.7 with the fix is currently in late beta testing, so hopefully not too much longer!

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Joel (and others),

Thanks for working on this. I've just updated to 11.0.7, restarted, and see that my user notes are still not displaying correctly across multiple corpuses. I've just taken notes in one text (Jubilees, part of the Charlesworth Pseudepigrapha set), but Jubilees is not showing up in the lefthand column with the other texts. A "corpus" called "Other Pseudepigrapha," and under it "Other," has now appeared, but when i scroll through it, there's nothing there. 

Also, when I change the "Notes Order" (currently it's GNT-T, which actually has no user notes in it), things get really, really wacky in the left-hand column—all kinds of texts get weird names and categories, many with the word "other" in them. 

Any ideas?

Tim

Tim, after playing around with this a bit over here, I believe we've reproduced the bug, which has gotten far more obscure, but is still present!  Basically, you have a combination of two things going on:

1) Your notes file contains notes not just for the Pseudepigrapha corpus, but also contains Biblical notes.  When this happens, your Notes Order only gives you a choice for the Biblical notes, and it does its best to guess which text to use to manage your other corpora.

2) In your library, the first Pseudepigrapha text you come across is not the Charlesworth, but one of the others (PSEUD-T?  Charles?  Evans?).

Putting these together, we get the bug!  Accordance tries to use Charles or Evans to display your notes that only Charlesworth contains, but it is having trouble doing so.  Fortunately, the solution should be easy, simply ensure the Charlesworth is the first pseudepigrapha text listed in your Library.  It doesn't have to be above all other texts, just simply above all other texts in that corpus.

To put it simply, Accordance doesn't mind multiple corpora in a single notes file, but it gets a bit tricky when trying to manage the Notes Order in this case, so it grabs the first text it can find of the appropriate corpus to do its calculations.  There definitely is a bug when displaying certain Charlesworth references with a different basis, which we'll get fixed.  In the end, however, I believe it is a good idea for you to place first in the list your desired, primary text per corpus.

I hope this helps!