2nd Aorist Tag removed in 11.0.5?

Elijah

Removed 2nd Aorist, 2nd Perfect, and 2nd Pluperfect tags, as no texts use these tags anymore

Why was 2nd Aorist removed? In privious versions there have been tags in GNT-T, LXX-T and others. I found it quite helpful, especially while studying Greek.

I have underlined all 2nd Aorist in GNT-T. I can't do that anymore now.

Our Greek scholar sent me this explanation:

We have made the decision to remove and discontinue using 2Aorist and 2Perfect tags for the following reasons:

1. These tags were misleading many users into thinking that all our Greek texts could be searched to find these tags. They could not. They were originally designed for our premier GNT products and only partially implemented in other tagged texts that were developed in more recent years. In the tagged texts we licensed from other developers, they were not implemented at all. Search results that were done on other tagged texts were therefore not complete and misleading and/or puzzling our users.

2. The 2Aorist tags that were used in the premier GNT tagged texts were disputed. The problem is a lack of consensus among scholars in terms of defining a 2Aorist. Does one go by internal stem differentiation from the present stem? Or does one go by the endings? And what about those instances where you have a 2Aorist stem (EIPON) but 1Aorist endings (EIPA)?

3. In addition, the reality is  that there is no semantic difference between 1Aorist and 2Aorist, or between Perfect and 2Perfect. An Aorist is an Aorist, and a Perfect is a Perfect. There are simply two different ways of constructing such forms.

4. It was concluded that those interested in searching for only 2Aorist or 2Perfect were primarily teachers looking for didactic reasons to show their students a list of these for their reference. They have no real value in interpreting the text itself. Such refined morphological distinctions hold very little, if any, value for the scholar, pastor, and GNT student exegeting the text.

• Like 1