"tagging" passages

Ιακοβ

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there is a way in accordance to "tag" things in a way such that later on you can search for a "tag". i.e. So if you tag every passage that you feel is relevant to (for example) resurrection, you can later bring up that list of passages on the screen next to each other?

Thanks!

At this point, the best option for this is to use highlighting styles and then do a style search. I agree that a tagging system would be nice.

• Like 1

Another alternative would be to place the word "resurrection" in a User Note attached to that verse. Searching the User Note for the word "resurrection" in the Content field would show every note with that word, which would also contain a link to those verses.

• Like 1

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Oaktree/Accordance/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/the_user_notes_tab.htm

"Similar to that of the Search tab except that you cannot use any search commands. You can perform a simple Flex or Exact search on the characters entered in the Search Entry box."

Problem:

The choice of either flex or exact search are greyed out in all the choices Reference, article, content in user notes on its search entry bar although help says that I can chose either flex or exact search.

Windows 7

Accordance 11.0.6

Dr. J.,

I am fairly new to notes and still learning the ropes.  I did not even know I could do a search through them.  How would I do the search you described above?  If I had a notes file named "My teaching notes" how do I do a content search within that file?  (If there is a podcast or help reference to point me to that is fine.)  Thanks!

In Christ,

Bret

Bret, you can open a tab containing your user notes from the New menu or New toolbar item, and then enter search terms at the top.

• Like 1

Joel,

Why are flex search and exact choices search greyed out in a new tab containing users notes?

User Notes only do literal character searches of the text, so they do not support Flex or Exact.  I believe the Help file is in error, here.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there is a way in accordance to "tag" things in a way such that later on you can search for a "tag". i.e. So if you tag every passage that you feel is relevant to (for example) resurrection, you can later bring up that list of passages on the screen next to each other?

Thanks!

I have a User Tool illustration file (which I'll leave Evernote for and come back to once User Tool editing opens up on Accordance Mobile!)--I "tricked" it into "tagging" each illustration by doing something similar to what Tim suggests.

However, I wanted to be more specific, so I tried "#resurrection." The # character did not come back in the search, but then I tried "xResurrection," which did work. So you could do makeshift tags that are really just words preceded by the letter x, and Accordance won't know the difference when it searches.

• Like 2

Accordance needs to do some serious revision of the User Notes so one can search and find the search results as easily as one does in any of the Tools.  

Thank you.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips guys. It seems quite strange to me that its not possible to easily tag passages for later searching/grouping by topics. Is this because the Accordance guys are from an older generation who don't yet understand the usefulness of the tagging thing? Or perhaps it is on the todo list, but is a minor priority? (Even OS X now allows you to tag files for searching for items by their tag rather than folder)

Being able to search by #resurrection or #breath, or other such things you are interested in grouping/cross-referencing in the user notes would be a workable compromise, but I am not intending to start putting xRessurection in my user notes files :D 

Edited by Ιακοβ

Accordance has been tagging words and texts for many, many years, Iakob. What we have not done to date is allow users to tag texts. However, you can highlight them, attach a User Note to them, bookmark them, even add them to a Reference List. (This latter option might work for you, come to think of it.) We have also just (with Accordance 11) added a verse search by Topic feature, though the topics list is maintained internally and cannot be edited by individual users. 

We receive many feature requests each year. As with any user request, we have to weigh the potential benefits against the programming resources we have available.  So far as I know, this is the first request we have ever received to allow users to tag verses by topic.