Hebrew language in user notes

Keith Hill

Hi,

Is there any way of making writing user notes in both English and Hebrew a bit more friendly - Whenever I switch from Eng to Heb, things like punctuation and spacing start to go haywire. Is there a patch available or plans to improve the feature?

Thanks,

Keith

Keith, first, have you tried this in the recently released 11.0.7? Second, if it still occurs in 11.0.7, can you give some examples of a situation in which it messes up?

Thanks Joel,

Yep, up to date with the latest release. It mostly occurs when I want to add punctuation next to a Hebrew word. So I type the word in Hebrew and want to add a comma or a parenthesis next to it, and it will end up on the wrong side of the word. For instance, trying to type something like 'שְׁמע (shema)' would end up as ' )שְׁמעshema)'. The problem seems to be switching from left-to-right to right-to-left text, and vice versa. 

Also, Hebrew text won't align along the right margin and allow me to indent individual clauses.

Is there any way around it?

We have worked very hard on these issues (well, not on right alignment and indents, those are not supported). These "edge" or transition cases are extremely difficult to code, especially in Unicode, since as soon as you add punctuation you are no longer in Hebrew, unless you continue in Hebrew, and the computer doesn't know what you intend to do. Apple, Mellel, Word all do it differently and none do it perfectly.

We'll take another look at your case, but I seriously suggest that in the above case you type more of the English and then go back and insert the Hebrew word.

Thanks Helen,

I have tried typing further along in English and then going back to paste in a Hebrew word. Sometimes this works fine, but other times the same issue will occur and the punctuation will move from where I had inserted it.