Church Fathers package

Larry Wing

I'd like to read some of the early church fathers (up to about 500 AD). I'm not particularly interested in commentary on their writing but rather their actual writings alone. Does anyone have "Schaff's Church Fathers and Church History module" CF-2 and would that set meet my needs?

I think it would there are brief introductions and some translation notes but no commentary. Here is a very brief sample.

-dan

THE APOLOGY.1 

[TRANSLATED BY THE REV. S. THELWALL, LATE SCHOLAR OF CHRIST’S COLLEGE, CANTAB.]

Chapter I.

Rulers of the Roman Empire, if, seated for the administration of justice on your lofty tribunal, under the gaze of every eye, and occupying there all but the highest position in the state, you may not openly inquire into and sift before the world the real truth in regard to the charges made against the Christians; if in this case alone you are afraid or ashamed to exercise your authority in making public inquiry with the carefulness which becomes justice; if, finally, the extreme severities inflicted on our people in recently private judgments, stand in the way of our being permitted to defend ourselves before you, you cannot surely forbid the Truth to reach your ears by the secret pathway of a noiseless book.2 She has no appeals to make to you in regard of her condition, for that does not excite her wonder. She knows that she is but a sojourner on the earth, and that among strangers she naturally finds foes; and more than this, that her origin, her dwelling-place, her hope, her recompense, her honours, are above. 

1 [Great diversity exists among the critics as to the date of this Apology; see Kaye, pp. xvi. 48, 65. Mosheim says, A.D. 198, Kaye A.D. 204.]

Elucidation II. 

Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, and A. Cleveland Coxe, eds. Latin Christianity: Its Founder, Tertullian. vol. III of The Ante-Nicene Fathers. Accordance electronic ed. (New York: Christian Literature Company, 1885), n.p.

First, i never want to go back to pre-accordance days. The app is fantastic and the tagged resources are invaluable.

Second, i am not a great fan of kindle.

But, i am on a budget and wondered if you had seen this larry if you are after their wrtings. (Ignore if you wanted it in original language though)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KYBSUUM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2OO90U7Y10ITP&coliid=I3HIQJTYHDIFEE

Search for Complete Ante-Nicene & Nicene and Post-Nicene Church Fathers Collection: 3 Series, 37 Volumes, 65 Authors, 1,000 Books, 18,000 words if the link doesnt work.

Edited by ukfraser

Try a search on archive.org for downloadable PDF scans of the works that interest you.

First, i never want to go back to pre-accordance days. The app is fantastic and the tagged resources are invaluable.

Second, i am not a great fan of kindle.

But, i am on a budget and wondered if you had seen this larry if you are after their wrtings. (Ignore if you wanted it in original language though)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KYBSUUM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2OO90U7Y10ITP&coliid=I3HIQJTYHDIFEE

Search for Complete Ante-Nicene & Nicene and Post-Nicene Church Fathers Collection: 3 Series, 37 Volumes, 65 Authors, 1,000 Books, 18,000 words if the link doesnt work.

Definitely an inexpensive way to grab the Fathers.... but having it in Accordance is preferable for it;s search capabilities not to mention being able to pop up Bible references. But for those on a budget you have offered a good solution. I must admit I am tempted to buy it because it says there are illustrations and I am curious... So if anyone buys it please let me know if there are many (I am halfway guessing the occasional line drawing of a saint, but could be wrong.

-Dan

These would of course be the original drawings by the original authors, in Greek and Latin. The Greek drawings are more rounded, the Latin ones are more angular.

• Like 1

So..., the Latin authors are "sharper"?

Is that what you're saying, Alistair? ;)

• Like 1