Thoughts on Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics-Abridged?

Larry Wing

I have Bavinck's Reformed Dogamatics full set in another Bible software program but I rarely use it so I don't think I'll take advantage of the current offer. However, the abridged version looks interesting, at least on the surface of it.

Has anyone read this book?  What are your thoughts?  Does it give a good summary of his work? I note too that the abridged contains explanatory material. What are your thoughts on the explanatory material?

Thanks in advance.

I picked up the abridged version but haven't had much time with it, nor do I have the full version to compare. This link was helpful, though. http://www.reformation21.org/shelf-life/review-of-herman-bavincks-reformed-dogmaticsabridged-in-one-volume-john-bolt-ed.php

I picked up the abridged version but haven't had much time with it, nor do I have the full version to compare. This link was helpful, though. http://www.reformation21.org/shelf-life/review-of-herman-bavincks-reformed-dogmaticsabridged-in-one-volume-john-bolt-ed.php

Good article at that link, thanks.

Thank you for the link. Good article and review.

The full four volumes were among the texts set when I took systematics in seminary. The abridgment appeared around the time I taught a course in Reformation theology, and based on my experience with the four volumes, I set the abridgment as a course text. I later decided that was a grave mistake.

For students who were not up to reading Bavinck, the abridgment did not help. I broke down and copied all of the précis from the full volumes, and that did help a bit. For students who would've been able to get a great deal out of it, the abridgment was frustrating because of how much was left out.

Gleason's article is helpful in talking a bit about how there may yet be a place for the abridgment. But from my experience, if you want a distillation of Bavinck rather than the full package, Berkhof has been around a long time and is much less expensive.

I would say that the Abridged could serve as a companion to RD. You could start reading on a topic in Abridged, and then if desired to go further, click the paragraph link in Accordance and open RD to explore in more depth and context.

I would not consider the Abridged to replace RD. If you want to give Bavinck serious treatment, then you must get RD. The Abridged would do well for someone wanting the companion affect I mentioned, or who is on a budget but still wants a cogent and readable treatment of (Dutch) Reformed Theology.

• 3 months later...

I picked up the Abridged version last night and have spent a little bit of time with it this morning. Good stuff so far! I recommend it.