Search commands and why I cannot paste in a search term

Eric Landstrom

I upgraded my copy of Accordance to 7.3 from (if I recall) 5.7c. Accordance runs on a Mac Pro 3.0 GHz with 6 GB RAM, 4x 500GB HDDs, 2x DVD burners, XT1900 and 7300GT video cards running OSX 10.4.9 sans the latest Java update which is from the devil and makes my Mac Pro goof up.

I'd really like to find an exhaustive list of all the commands and search terms with a special interest in search terms related to user notes because no matter how I try to enter in multiple terms to search my user notes, an invalid search request is returned for my effort.

In addition, if I copy and paste in requests for verses to look up I experience inconsistent results. For example I past in "1 Cor. 5:7" and am met with a result that the book "Cor." could not be found. If I paste in "Rev. 15:3; 1 Cor 5:7" I get the entire chapter of Rev. 15 but not 1 Cor. 5:7. Yet if I don't cut and paste in the search and type it in myself, all is well and the search returns the verses I wanted to look up. Needless to say, I'm frustrated. Please help.

What are you copying search text from (Word, Pages, etc)? You may be copying visible characters which might have a strange effect.

Gary

In general you need to format verse references without a space between the number and the book, so 1Cor 5:7. I don't think it has anything to do with cut and paste.

User Notes only support limited searching of the content (string search) for a string of characters. Commands and symbols are not supported.

Also, do make sure that you have the field set to "Reference" if you are searching for text.

Are you having the cut and paste problem when you copy from different places, or as Gary asked, is it from a specific app?

Does it work copying the text from here?

1Cor. 5:7

Rev. 15:3; 1Cor 5:7

Why was the space between the book number and book title (e.g. 1 Cor. 5:7 vs. 1Cor. 5:7) changed in 5.7c to 7.3? I have megs of user notes with a space between the scripture reference book number and book name.

Furthermore, is there a way to make it all work like it once did under 5.7c?

In addition, is there someplace you can point me to an exhaustive listing of all the search commands—especially related to user notes?

The space has never been allowed in references, but later it was allowed only in the first reference of a string.

There are NO search commands supported in User Notes, never have been. See Accordance Help: Doing your own Thing: User Notes.

As far as I know, User Notes now work the same as in 5.7.

The space has never been allowed in references, but later it was allowed only in the first reference of a string.

There are NO search commands supported in User Notes, never have been. See Accordance Help: Doing your own Thing: User Notes.

As far as I know, User Notes now work the same as in 5.7.

No search commands in the user notes? nothing like "Jesus +Sabbath" to find all user notes with both "Jesus" and "Sabbath"? I see that user notes can now find multiple words if they are in the same order (e.g., the search "where they crucified him" will find all user notes with the phrase "where they crucified him"

Archived