Search for root without preposition/article/suffix

Hansinl

Hebrew forms are often with suffixes, articles or preposition (or all of them ...). When I want to do a quick search on the root of a word, I therefore first have to delete these options from the search line. Is there a way to do it faster? I tried all the options opening up when I right-click the word (combination), but they all end in listing up all the combined parts of the word. 

When I - for example - want to look up the word הַשָּׁמַ֔יִם from Gen 1:14, but do not want to limit it to the occurences with the article, I first have to delete the search for the article in the search line. Is there a shorter way?

Hansi

Yes, if you select the word itself in the text, you should get a search only on that lemma or root.

• 1 month later...

Hi Helen 

I'd like to ask whether there's a simpler way of highlighting only the root. When I double-click a hebrew word, it highlights the whole hebrew word plus prefixes/suffixes etc. Is there a feature where I hold a key and double-click the word to select the root only? I find trying to highlight the root often takes time which adds up when I'm doing it often.

Thanks

Edited by mrderek

You can right-click (or control-click) on the word and select "Search For -- Root".

Hi Mark

Searching for root is different to searching for lemma. E.g. with the word השמים, when I search for the lemma without the prefix, the lemma search is שמים. If I right-click השמים and choose root search, it searches for ננ+ and ה+.

Derek

Edited by mrderek

NN means the root is Not kNown, and LL means it's a foreign Language word (Loazit in Hebrew), so in this case there is no root to search for.

• Like 1