I would like to purchase a MacBook

Emanuel Cardona

I have never owned a MacBook and I would like to own one to run Accordance on. I came across this website today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-Air-Core-i5-1-6GHz-2GB-RAM-64GB-Flash-HD-11-6-MC968LL-A-/121493197053?_trksid=p2050601.m1256&_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D55c2a71fe4b0606f580a37e4%26rpp_icid%3D55cb97b8e4b098151eb2f05f%26rpppos%3D0%26clkid%3D8486427886758387950&_qi=RTM2144661#viTabs_0

May someone please let me know if Accordance will run well on this MacBook? Or perhaps, another recommendation? Thank you!

That MacBook Air will run Accordance just fine, but it's pretty underpowered. Just remember that you can purchase a much faster, new one for $899. And if you or one of your children are students, you can purchase one for about $100 cheaper. 

That MacBook Air will run Accordance just fine, but it's pretty underpowered. Just remember that you can purchase a much faster, new one for $899. And if you or one of your children are students, you can purchase one for about $100 cheaper.

I use Accordance, use PDFs, use the Internet for research and answer emails, and write documents. I like my laptop to be fast and keep up with me when I have multiple tabs open when researching. I usually use my current laptop with my power cord, but would like to take it to class and its battery be able to last a good portion of the day. With these things in mind, which one do you recommend? I have always been a PC user and have no experience whatsoever with Macs. I have heard so many great things about it, though.

Hi Emanuel,

I've been a pc user since 1988, but my next computer is definitely going to be a Mac. Right now I'm using one with just 2 GB RAM for the things you mention - word processing with MS Office 2011 and Scrivener, Bible study with Accordance (also Logos and BW), reading with Adobe Acrobat, and web browsing with Safari. I would say it works faster than my old Vista with 3 GB RAM, as fast as my i3 with 4GB, and only slows down when Logos indexes (so I shut it off).

In fact, I'm probably going to buy one on ebay next year with 4 GB RAM, and I would be happy to get something like the one you're considering with 4 GB of RAM, maybe even a Mac Mini for my purposes. So I think the one in the ad would serve you well. The only question is are your hands too big for an 11" MacBook? I find that a 13" laptop is just big enough for me. If I had an 11" MacBook, I'd hook it up to a monitor most of the time anyways.

If you need some help for corresponding Windows operations in a Mac, just ask and many will be glad to help.

Regards,

Michel

Hi Emanuel,

I've been a pc user since 1988, but my next computer is definitely going to be a Mac. Right now I'm using one with just 2 GB RAM for the things you mention - word processing with MS Office 2011 and Scrivener, Bible study with Accordance (also Logos and BW), reading with Adobe Acrobat, and web browsing with Safari. I would say it works faster than my old Vista with 3 GB RAM, as fast as my i3 with 4GB, and only slows down when Logos indexes (so I shut it off).

In fact, I'm probably going to buy one on ebay next year with 4 GB RAM, and I would be happy to get something like the one you're considering with 4 GB of RAM, maybe even a Mac Mini for my purposes. So I think the one in the ad would serve you well. The only question is are your hands too big for an 11" MacBook? I find that a 13" laptop is just big enough for me. If I had an 11" MacBook, I'd hook it up to a monitor most of the time anyways.

If you need some help for corresponding Windows operations in a Mac, just ask and many will be glad to help.

Regards,

Michel

My current laptop is also connected to a monitor and I use it all the time at home. I would really like to purchase a 13" Mac to take with me when I am away from the monitor at home. I am looking to replace my main computer and I want the replacement to be very reliable and to last me for some time. I was thinking of a MacBook Pro, but I have heard that it gets pretty hot if used for a while and its battery takes a toll as well. These are my main disadvantages since I use my main computer frequently. Therefore, I am leaning towards purchasing a 13" MacBook Air as my main computer. Is this a sound consideration for my situation? Edited by Emanuel Cardona

I would think so, but I've never had the pleasure of owning one myself.

I would think so, but I've never had the pleasure of owning one myself.

I understand. It is quite an investment and I want to make sure that my money is appropriately spent.

I have used Mac laptops for the past 20 years or so. Yes, some of them get a bit hot, especially if the HD is spinning a lot. I use a laptop cushion or pad and place my MBP on top of it. The better ones raise it a bit, so it is more comfortable to type.

I often work away from my office, but generally don't worry about battery life. The older Mac laptops did go through batteries pretty quickly, but they can be replaced.  I'm generally fine if I can work for an hour or two without a cord. If I am going to be somewhere longer than that, I usually find a place to plug in when I am working; I even have an adapter for my car. The laptop is small enough I can take it with me where ever I go (not true about my new 27" 5k iMac!).

Most importantly, my computer doesn't shut down when the power here in Florida flickers (which it frequently does).

• Like 1

I have used Mac laptops for the past 20 years or so. Yes, some of them get a bit hot, especially if the HD is spinning a lot. I use a laptop cushion or pad and place my MBP on top of it. The better ones raise it a bit, so it is more comfortable to type.

I often work away from my office, but generally don't worry about battery life. The older Mac laptops did go through batteries pretty quickly, but they can be replaced.  I'm generally fine if I can work for an hour or two without a cord. If I am going to be somewhere longer than that, I usually find a place to plug in when I am working; I even have an adapter for my car. The laptop is small enough I can take it with me where ever I go (not true about my new 27" 5k iMac!).

Most importantly, my computer doesn't shut down when the power here in Florida flickers (which it frequently does).

From your personal experience, do you prefer MBA or MBP? I hope you do not mind telling me why.

The MacBook Air is thinner and lighter. The MacBook Pro is faster and has a better screen with the Retina display, and has the option for a larger 15" screen. I usually connect my laptop to a larger display, so the size of the 13" screen on the MacBook Air isn't an issue for me. However, if I was only using the laptop screen all the time, I'd probably get the 15" MacBook Pro. Either one is going to be fast enough and powerful enough to do whatever you want with it.

Edited by Mark Allison

The MacBook Air is thinner and lighter. The MacBook Pro is faster and has a better screen with the Retina display, and has the option for a larger 15" screen. I usually connect my laptop to a larger display, so the size of the 13" screen on the MacBook Air isn't an issue for me. However, if I was only using the laptop screen all the time, I'd probably get the 15" MacBook Pro. Either one is going to be faster enough and powerful enough to do whatever you want with it.

Great! I can see that for me MBA is the one. If only the MBA had retina display.

I previously owned a 13" MBA, and now own a 13" Retina MBP. Of the two the Air was lighter, and had better battery life. It did tend to bog down under heavy processor usage, but your scenario doesn't sound like that will be an issue. The display was very nice, though not retina. My current pro is definitely faster with all around better specs (notably processor and graphics), and a bit heavier. It also has more ports: 2 thunderbolt as opposed to 1 on the Air, 2 USB3 as opposed to 1 USB 2 on the Air, which is nice since I run a Mac display and also a thunderbolt backup drive at times. edit: It also has an HDMI port. I do work away from my desk relatively often, but not very often on my lap - but even then I have not noticed extreme heat issues like I had with my older 15" MBP (for that I had to use a lap desk).

Between the two, I think either would serve you well. In my opinion the Pro will last longer due to the capability of higher specs, but the Air will absolutely do everything you need plus more, and offer the nice advantages of weight and battery life. With either option I recommend getting the max specs your budget will allow since unfortunately Apple has pretty much made upgrading them impossible, or very difficult.

Edited by Rick Bennett
  • Like 1

I think I'll defer the the two previous posters. I've never bought anything in recent years except the MBPs. I needed the extra ports and features. I generally buy a laptop based on my highest end use, which is processing the video podcasts. Accordance is much, much less demanding.

I previously owned a 13" MBA, and now own a 13" Retina MBP. Of the two the Air was lighter, and had better battery life. It did tend to bog down under heavy processor usage, but your scenario doesn't sound like that will be an issue. The display was very nice, though not retina. My current pro is definitely faster with all around better specs (notably processor and graphics), and a bit heavier. It also has more ports: 2 thunderbolt as opposed to 1 on the Air, 2 USB3 as opposed to 1 USB 2 on the Air, which is nice since I run a Mac display and also a thunderbolt backup drive at times. edit: It also has an HDMI port. I do work away from my desk relatively often, but not very often on my lap - but even then I have not noticed extreme heat issues like I had with my older 15" MBP (for that I had to use a lap desk).

Between the two, I think either would serve you well. In my opinion the Pro will last longer due to the capability of higher specs, but the Air will absolutely do everything you need plus more, and offer the nice advantages of weight and battery life. With either option I recommend getting the max specs your budget will allow since unfortunately Apple has pretty much made upgrading them impossible, or very difficult.

Thank you so much for your comment. Pardon my ignorance, but what would be considered heavy processor usage? I mean, what kinds of programs will demand a lot of the processor? If it is for games, then I do not have to worry about that since I do not use my computer for games.

Editing multiple streams of high-definition video will certainly bog down a MacBook Air. It really wasn't designed for that kind of use. The MacBook Air doesn't have a discreet video processor like the MacBook Pro, so anything that is heavily graphics-intensive is going to suffer. That being said, I have edited high-def video on my MacBook Air. It's just not ideal.

• Like 2

I think I'll defer the the two previous posters. I've never bought anything in recent years except the MBPs. I needed the extra ports and features. I generally buy a laptop based on my highest end use, which is processing the video podcasts. Accordance is much, much less demanding.

I do not plan on making video podcasts, but maybe some kind of visual presentations for Bible studies. As far as the ports, at least one for an external keyboard/mouse, one for a monitor, and maybe an extra one just in case.

The number of ports is less important than it used to be.

Bluetooth mice and keyboards are easy to find and relatively inexpensive. The Thunderbolt port works well for just about anything with that connection, like an external drive or an external monitor. If you do find yourself needing a lot of ports, there are breakout cables, hubs, and even Thunderbolt devices that allow you to daisy-chain other Thunderbolt accessories.

The number of ports is less important than it used to be.

Bluetooth mice and keyboards are easy to find and relatively inexpensive. The Thunderbolt port works well for just about anything with that connection, like an external drive or an external monitor. If you do find yourself needing a lot of ports, there are breakout cables, hubs, and even Thunderbolt devices that allow you to daisy-chain other Thunderbolt accessories.

What about making visual presentations (not videos, more like power points and the like)? Will it work fine on a MBA, or is a MBP more appropriate for such things?

The MacBook Air will be fine for making presentations and for doing all the things you've described. In fact, I think it's the ideal tool for your needs.

• Like 1

The MacBook Air will be fine for making presentations and for doing all the things you've described. In fact, I think it's the ideal tool for your needs.

Thank you! Is not having a retina display on the MacAir a big deal?

I think it's a matter of personal preference. The retina display is nice, but it wouldn't carry much weight in my personal buying decision. I'm sure there are others who will disagree. Do you have an Apple retailer nearby? If so, I'd recommend that you take a look for yourself.

Thank you! Is not having a retina display on the MacAir a big deal?

For me yes!

I use often my iPhone 4S instead of the MBA, only because its sharper. And the worst your eyes are the more relax is for me a Retina display. As I bought my MBA Accordance hadn't support Retina, but I would never buy a Mac without Retina. 

The Battery stays a little bit longer on the MBA but that you can throw under the table.

For me the glossy screen is also a no go if I want use the Mac outdoor. Especially on a lake or so or in the café. 

What I like is that its thinner, lighter and has the USB and Mag Save separately to fill the battery of the iPhone (so the backup is already done too). This is one that I would miss if I buy the MacBook.

Greetings

Fabian

I think it's a matter of personal preference. The retina display is nice, but it wouldn't carry much weight in my personal buying decision. I'm sure there are others who will disagree. Do you have an Apple retailer nearby? If so, I'd recommend that you take a look for yourself.

About a 30 min. away. I was actually thinking of stopping by today, with at least some knowledge as you all kindly provided for me here.

For me yes!

I use often my iPhone 4S instead of the MBA, only because its sharper. And the worst your eyes are the more relax is for me a Retina display. As I bought my MBA Accordance hadn't support Retina, but I would never buy a Mac without Retina. 

The Battery stays a little bit longer on the MBA but that you can throw under the table.

For me the glossy screen is also a no go if I want use the Mac outdoor. Especially on a lake or so or in the café. 

What I like is that its thinner, lighter and has the USB and Mag Save separately to fill the battery of the iPhone (so the backup is already done too). This is one that I would miss if I buy the MacBook.

Greetings

Fabian

The new MBA have a glossy screen?

The new MBA have a glossy screen?

Unfortunately: Yes, all portable Mac's. There are some additional film which you can buy in the internet. I had one for my iPhone, it helps but it would be nice if a customer has the choice by purchasing the Mac.

With the glossy screen you have always 2 screens in one. Sometimes more sometimes less, but outdoor you can take it as ********

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1