Photo

Church Father's Commentaries (Dropdown reference selection)

Church Fathers Commentaries

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Raybould

Paul Raybould

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Accordance Version:7.x

Posted Today, 06:30 AM

I typically read scripture on my iPad with 2 Panes. The top is the bible, and commentaries below. It is very powerful to include other's insights (and be able to switch between them). We often see references like this from Adam Clarke's Commentary on Hebrews 9:14. He obviously read older saints' writings, and many of them are now digitized - even as part of Accordance.
- - -
"... Cyril, Athanasius sometimes, Damascenus, Chrysostom, and some others. But the common reading is supported by ABD**, and others, besides the Syriac, all the Arabic, Armenian, AEthiopic, Athanasius generally, Theodouret, Theophylact, and ... "
- - -
I have Church Father's Collections / Modules and wondered if there is a way to reference their comments on verses in the same (or similar) way as we can switch between other commentaries?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

#2 Mark Allison

Mark Allison

Gold

• Accordance
  • 260 posts
  • Accordance Version:5.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted Today, 06:40 AM

There really isn't a way to do that with the traditional Church Fathers resources. The problem is that the Fathers never wrote in a commentary format, for the most part. However, there is a resource that attempts to do just what you've described, sorting through all the Church Fathers' comments on a particular passage, and organizing them in a commentary format. It's called the "Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture" and is available in Accordance:

http://www.accordanc...d=ACCS Complete

#3 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,556 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted Today, 06:44 AM

Paul, do you have the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture?

http://www.accordanc...d=ACCS Complete

Would this do what you're wanting to do?

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel-core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Yosemite/OS X Server

2015 12" MacBook - 1.3 Ghz Core M, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, El Capitan (beta)

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 10

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon, iOS 9 (beta)

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, T-Mobile, iOS 9 (beta)

#4 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted Today, 07:03 PM

I am not !00% sure what Paul wants, but I would like the ability to open up a secondary panel in works like the fathers this secondary panel need not even be overly flexible but I want to have the ability to have a Bible open with many works that currently are one resource only. For example in photo guide 4 rather than hoping open a pop up window for scriptures I would like to have 1/4 width panel i can open to read freely for context and other passages that pop to mind. Right now I do this by using accordance simultaneously on my iPhone and iPad but often it would be nice to have just my iPad.

-Dan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Church Fathers, Commentaries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users