Reading Plans

cxc

I would like to see a method to implement my reading plan. I can use the Accordance User Tools to manually type the reading plan, but this method requires periodic manual adjustment. I have been longing for a feature as described below in any Bible software for perhaps a decade.

The plan is called Scripture Covenant. Each day, the reading selection is formed as follows.

• Four chapters from the OT
  • Five chapters from Psalms
  • One chapter from Proverbs
  • Four chapters from the NT
The cycle for both the OT and NT is four chapters per day. Psalms are Proverbs are read according to the day of the month as follows.

• The first of any month corresponds to Psalms 1-5 and Proverbs 1.
  • The fifteenth of any month corresponds to Psalms 71-75 and Proverbs 15.

In months with 30 days, there are two readings from Proverbs.

In months with 31 days, there are no readings from Psalms.

In months with less than 30 days, all remaining chapters from Psalms and Proverbs are read on the last day of the month.

The OT and NT four-chapter cycle continues indefinitely. The effect is that the OT is always read in light of the NT, and at varying positions within the OT. 

I know that Accordance is more of a Bible study tool, and the Scripture Covenant is not Bible study. It is a means of feeding your inner man daily on real spirit food. Jesus said, "My words are spirit and they are life" (John 6:63). Understanding is not the point; rather, it is to feed your spirit man. The purpose is simply to read with the expectation that God will speak to you through His Word. The Holy Spirit will teach us and reveal to us what we need to know, when we are ready to receive it. However, Accordance can help a reader dig deeper as time and interest permit.

Because the plan is not a static list of books and chapters, it is not trivial to implement it as a typical reading plan feature found in typical Bible software. So, if the reading plan cannot be implement as a feature, perhaps Accordance users could have a method to extend Accordance in whatever language is appropriate, which might produce a selection of user-contributed extensions.

Thanks for reading, and God bless.

Chris

That looks like an interesting reading plan that I would like to try.