How to link to dictionary articles?

Ιακοβ

I am trying to link to "Daniel, Book of"

This will lie to the article beforehand 

accord://read/IVP-NB%20Dictionary;Entry?Daniel

This or something else with a comma, doesn't work. What do you need to do?

accord://read/IVP-NB%20Dictionary;Entry?Daniel%20book

Hi Ιακοβ,

How about this :

accord://search/IVP-NB_Dictionary;Entry?Daniel_Book_Of

Thx

D

Hi Ιακοβ,

How about this :

accord://search/IVP-NB_Dictionary;Entry?Daniel_Book_Of

Thanks for your reply. That style never seems to work for me. This link you crafted does open Accordance, but thats all it does. 

Or perhaps this : accord://search/IVP-NB%20Dictionary;Entry?"Daniel%20.,%20Book%20Of"

Thx

D

• Like 1

Or perhaps this : accord://search/IVP-NB%20Dictionary;Entry?"Daniel%20.,%20Book%20Of"

Thx

D

Wow, that worked!  This example should be in the documentation. 

It is definitely unclear why the "," needs to be rendered as " .," for it to work

Edited by Ιακοβ

Also it turns out the quotes aren't needed, at least they aren't on my mac. Are the quotes for PC?

A period before any type of punctuation will allow you to search in Accordance for that character. So, a period in front of a question mark will allow you to search for question marks: .?

Mark

• Like 1

This is interesting, please explain to me:

- how do you produce these links in accordance?

- are they mean to work only inside acc. in e.g. user notes, or can the be used in text-files as well as a way of saving references to books?

Morten

• Like 1

Hi Ιακοβ,

Regarding the quotes I was experimenting and when I got it going I did not refine and remove unnecessary elements. One final note about the punctuation. The comma is treated as a separate word (this is how Accordance handles punctuation) and thus there is also a space before the ., in the URL I gave.

Hi Morten,

Links like these are used in other places like word processors and such. I was putting the URL into Firefox's address line and then hitting return. I was then prompted to open it in Accordance. See "Using Links for Common Tasks" in the documentation for a full description.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Thanks, so it seems from the help file (file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/using_links_common_tasks.htm?Highlight=Using%20Links%20for%20Common%20Tasks) - that you can only produce these links manually. 

I would have hoped that they could also be produced automatically based on last search query and so.

But in any case, this might be helpful.

Morten

A period before any type of punctuation will allow you to search in Accordance for that character. So, a period in front of a question mark will allow you to search for question marks: .?

Mark

Thanks Mark, thats helpful. The other piece of information that was missing though, appears to be that you need to put a space as well as a full stop before the comma.

Regarding the quotes I was experimenting and when I got it going I did not refine and remove unnecessary elements. One final note about the punctuation. The comma is treated as a separate word (this is how Accordance handles punctuation) and thus there is also a space before the ., in the URL I gave.

This explains the logic behind why you might need to not just do full-stop+comma, but have to do space+full-stop+comma. I don't believe this is clear from the documentation.

This is interesting, please explain to me:

- how do you produce these links in accordance?

- are they mean to work only inside acc. in e.g. user notes, or can the be used in text-files as well as a way of saving references to books?

They are extremely helpful for sharing links to dictionary articles, pages in books, or bible verses with other people, i.e. in word or email. They are also great if you are doing research and trying to compile a list/set of related resources.

They are extremely helpful for sharing links to dictionary articles, pages in books, or bible verses with other people, i.e. in word or email. They are also great if you are doing research and trying to compile a list/set of related resources.

Yes, I can se - but is it correctly understood that you have to type them manually? 

URL or URI, or is this in this case the same?

Greetings

Fabian

Thanks Daniel

I'm a little bit confused because in the Help-Files stand: Put simply, a URI lets you link directly to Accordance.

So I was wondering why it comes as URL.

But anyway I would love to see a smarter way to make a Link to Accordance resources, than the try and error one today.

Greetings

Fabian

I can't speak for the documentation. Usually the difference between them is just not relevant most of the time. The terms are not truly interchangeable but most of the time people known what you mean. If you want to hurt your head read the IETF RFCs on this. I cannot recommend this practice for its entertainment :) But here is a bit on URI, URL, URN from the IETF RFC 3986. This has been superceded but this gives a better explanation of the differences. In the end it says use URI everywhere in later standards which then does in fact seem to happen. https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-1.1.3

1.1.3. URI, URL, and URN

A URI can be further classified as a locator, a name, or both. The
term "Uniform Resource Locator" (URL) refers to the subset of URIs
that, in addition to identifying a resource, provide a means of
locating the resource by describing its primary access mechanism
(e.g., its network "location"). The term "Uniform Resource Name"
(URN) has been used historically to refer to both URIs under the
"urn" scheme [RFC2141], which are required to remain globally unique
and persistent even when the resource ceases to exist or becomes
unavailable, and to any other URI with the properties of a name.

An individual scheme does not have to be classified as being just one
of "name" or "locator". Instances of URIs from any given scheme may
have the characteristics of names or locators or both, often
depending on the persistence and care in the assignment of
identifiers by the naming authority, rather than on any quality of
the scheme. Future specifications and related documentation should
use the general term "URI" rather than the more restrictive terms
"URL" and "URN" [RFC3305].

I interpreted the accord:/ as describing how to access the resource thus rendering this a URL. It identifies the primary access method, via Accordance, just as http:// does for web addresses.

But really don't worry about the difference, you will go mad :)

HTH

D

Manually creating these links is so painful. But at the same time, so very useful when trying to keep direct links from your research back into accordance, or for sharing links into resources with others.  

Can we expect this to come in a minor update (i.e. sooner), or a major update (i.e. perhaps later).

Thanks!!