Typing Greek (or Hebrew) in User Notes

csapaugh

Hello,

I am using a Mac, and when I want to type Greek, I change the keyboard to the Greek Polytonic. This keyboard works in the Accordance User Notes, but I don't know how to add accents and breathing marks. I can do this in Word, but can't do it on the user notes.

Also, what is your default font in User Notes? Would you recommend SBL Biblit?

Thanks!

Hi, csapaugh!  I'm not entirely sure what is going on, but I'll do my best to help.

There are two ways to do Greek Polytonic input.  The first is using the System keyboard when it is set to Greek Polytonic.  I'm able to easily enter in accents into my User Note, using the standard keyboard entry. (typing right-square-bracket to get a `, for instance).

The second way to do this is using the internal Accordance Greek entry, but with the Polytonic checkbox checked in the Preferences -> Greek & Hebrew.  With this checked, I am also able to enter accents into my user note.

So, how are you attempting to enter accents in which they aren't working?

Regarding the default font, remember that for original languages, Accordance lets you specify the font used to render them individually, so you don't have to pick a single good font that renders all of them well.  These decisions are made in Preferences -> Unicode Display.  Past that, the font you use should be whichever you like best for rendering english or other non-original language content.  I myself like Avenir Next, Optima, Helvetica, and Palatino, but there are hundreds of excellent choices out there.

Hey Joel,

Thanks for the reply! I actually figured it out a few days ago! I came across the Polytonic checkbox in preferences (as you said) and now it works great. I can enter accents and all.

• 3 months later...

Apologies for joining this conversation late, but I am now required to use Greek Polytonic rather than Mounce's Teknia keyboard. Does anyone know of a downloadable Mac keyboard layout document? Thanks in advance

Grace and peace..

Andrew

There is a Greek polytonic keyboard in Mac OS X. You may enable in preferences. I do not have my Mac readily accessible now, but you can search System Preferences (try "keyboard"). Hebrew is there too.

• Like 1