Good Color Printer

Michael Miles

My 2 year (and 2 week) old HP 8600-plus all-in-one color inkjet died today.  It keeps throwing printhead errors.  I did all of the things that HP recommends.  I cleaned the terminals with a pencil eraser (old IT trick for cards in desktop computers).  I went fishing on the innertubes and video searching on the YouTube and no bueno.  My wife even bought an extended warranty, which ran out 15 days ago.  So, what is the |<()()|_ printer to have for a Mac these days?  I could use the scanner and my wife would use the copy machine aspect.  We don't fax anyone ever.

???

We have an Epson Artisan 720(?) all-in-one that we have been happy with.  Only downside is that it doesn't support Airprint, although it does have an iOS app that partially compensates for that.  At least some of the more recent Epsons do.  I used to be a big HP proponent, but the last couple of HP printers we had didn't last well and threw lots of errors, so I gave up on HP.

Some of the things I like about our Epson:

-each color cartridge is separate (probably standard now, but not the case for our older hps)

-wireless printing and scanning (including controlling the scanning from my iOS device)

-there's a "drawer" for 4x6 or 5x7 photo paper above the "normal" drawer so you don't have to swap paper out to print photos

It can print on CDs, too, but we've never used that feature.

I have an Epson WF-7520 that I really like, but I have also been extremely happy in the past with brother all in ones... the WF even prints ledger size and the next size up too.. so 11x17 and 13x19 duplex printing only on the 8 1/2x 11 though.

=Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

Well......  I also have a penchant to purchase an Epson.  I believe that over the long haul they may prove to be longer-lasting than the HP models.  My wife, it happens, has a small locker with ink cartridges for the HP 8600 which she pointed out to me, and since the newer 8620 is on sale for $199 at Apple and BestBuy and it uses the same cartridges, that is what we ended up getting.  I'll probably put the 8600 out in the shed and use it for parts or figure out how to just dinky around to make the scanner work, or most likely, throw it out next year after it has had time to age and cook and gather a fine frosting of dust.

On a positive side, I also ordered a new MacBook Pro 15" Retina with a 512gb SSD and the fastest CPU they currently offer, along with a Magic Mouse 2.  The Logitech trackball is starting to make my thumb bothersome.  I need to buy a Windows 10 license to Bootcamp this new machine and snag a VueScan license so I can use my olderish Plustek OpticBook book scanner without having to resort to Plustek drivers that were crafted in the late bronze age.

Today went completely different than I had planned it.  I need to just stop making plans, because they seldom come to pass as I had anticipated them to do.

Thanks for your opinions on the printers.  I need to make a provision with my gal that if this HP dies, I'm going to jump over to Epson.

Edited by Michael Miles
  • Like 1