Changing Sylvanus Uncial font in Codex Modules

tebel

Is there a way of changing the ligatures that are displayed in Sylvanus Uncial font in the codex modules to a regular Greek font. I would like to do this for regular use and also for copying and pasting into Google Docs which does not recognize the font but represents it with small blocks. 

Is there a way of changing the ligatures that are displayed in Sylvanus Uncial font in the codex modules to a regular Greek font. I would like to do this for regular use and also for copying and pasting into Google Docs which does not recognize the font but represents it with small blocks. 

By ligatures do you mean all the characters, or just an actual ligature (e.g. an overstroke on certain letters, such as a a final nu at the end of a line)? Either way the answer is no, but I was curious as to what exactly you are referring to.

My recommendation for a workaround is to open another Greek text in parallel and copy from it, and manually edit it accordingly (use compare texts to highlight differences).

Thank you Rick. I meant simply the letters: changing these to a standard Greek font. It is not possible to copy using another Greek New Testament because this particular collection of manuscripts differs in so many ways from the standard eclectic text. I wish to copy exact portions of these manuscripts as they are found without the eclectic variations that mark modern texts. Also, if for instance I wanted to copy portions of Codex Bezae, the modern critical text will not contain many of the verses, and I would have to try and copy piecemeal using one or other critical apparatus.

Thank you Rick. I meant simply the letters: changing these to a standard Greek font. It is not possible to copy using another Greek New Testament because this particular collection of manuscripts differs in so many ways from the standard eclectic text. I wish to copy exact portions of these manuscripts as they are found without the eclectic variations that mark modern texts. Also, if for instance I wanted to copy portions of Codex Bezae, the modern critical text will not contain many of the verses, and I would have to try and copy piecemeal using one or other critical apparatus.

My recommendation then is to use a word processor capable of properly handling the Unicode font of your choice.

I don't think this is a limitation in Google Docs. I commend Accordance for its creativity in rendering these texts in a font corresponding to the original MSS. However, the text is difficult enough to read as it is because the original breaks at the end of the each line in the codex MSS have not been preserved in the modules. What Accordance has done is to break up words into fragments if a word is carried over from a previous line. That is well and good, but now the reader (in addition to working with a less familiar font) has also to determine when a word is a fragment and when it is a proper word.

I don't think this is a limitation in Google Docs. I commend Accordance for its creativity in rendering these texts in a font corresponding to the original MSS. However, the text is difficult enough to read as it is because the original breaks at the end of the each line in the codex MSS have not been preserved in the modules. What Accordance has done is to break up words into fragments if a word is carried over from a previous line. That is well and good, but now the reader (in addition to working with a less familiar font) has also to determine when a word is a fragment and when it is a proper word.

Two points:

1. If you are copying text into Google Docs and seeing blocks instead of characters, then it is a font rendering issue.

2. You may have your display settings set in a way not ideal for this text. We do preserve the columns as they appear in the manuscript(s). See here for a couple examples (both set to view as paragraphs; second shot hiding verse references and spaces):

post-5629-0-08549500-1449888736_thumb.png

post-5629-0-12383500-1449888748_thumb.png

I see this involves unchecking the "Suppress poetry" option in Text Display. This is a life saver. Thanks Rick.  :)