Extra Headings when Importing a User Tool

Steve King

I have imported into Accordance a number of Thomas Brooks works such as the "Precious Remedies against Satan's Devices" and "Mute Christian under the Smarting Rod".

These I set up as html files by using Word and then importing into Accordance. If there is a large amount of text without a heading then it automatically enters a 'T' heading at certain points.

See the following example

post-30494-0-22819000-1451397326_thumb.png

The headings in the red rectangle are those set up in the html file and should be there. These do not have a lot of text between them.

Those in the blue rectangle are not headings that are in the html file but have been added automatically at level 'T'. An example is shown in the text on the right of the example.

In my example shown there are in each case about 29 'pages' of text (i.e. as I page down the screen clicking on the scroll bar)  between each of the inserted headings. (I checked the character count in Word including spaces between the places where the headings were inserted and it was 49460, 49151 and 49346 which will give you an idea of amount of text needed before a heading is inserted automatically)

If I add extra headings into the html file at more regular intervals then the extra headings are not displayed. I also tried setting up an html file using BBEdit and manually putting in the tags rather than using Word and still got the same problem.

Using Accordance 11.1.2 on OSX 10.11.2 El Capitan

It is then extremely difficult to remove the headings if you edit the user tool in Accordance because you can only display the heading at the top and then cannot remove the 'T'. That can only be removed if you can access text prior to the heading as well which you can't do even on the largest block.

Edited by Steve King

Steve, there is a maximum number of characters per article, so we add extra headings as needed.  This is simply so the tool works in Accordance, knowing this you should be able to work around it using better headings than our guessed ones.

I don't know why it is so hard to remove the extra headings, simply edit immediately before the unwanted heading and move it.

Hi Joel,

OK understood. I will have to add some headings in.

I was trying to remove the headings by editing and that is not so easy. If I add some headings in then I will not get the problem anyway.

Thanks

Steve, I don't understand why the editing to remove the headings is hard. If you edit right before the heading, it should be easy to remove.

The heading is at the top of the edit window (see first picture) and the only thing I can edit before is either to add characters which become part of the heading or enter a line break in which case the heading line stays at the top as a blank line (see second picture). Editing the previous block is no good because that particular heading is not included because I assume the headings are automatically added in per maximum block size.

post-30494-0-02382400-1451581159_thumb.png

post-30494-0-77586700-1451581175_thumb.png

There appears to be no way to remove the 'T'. With more frequent headings there should not be a problem.

Yes, the headings are added because your singular article is far too long.  You need to break apart the prior article some, so you'll then be able to adjust the headings further on.  Since you imported articles that are far too big, the only solution is to have you break it up more.

I had also made in a tool the same experience. Then I had add Titles before the "false", but I'm not able to remove the false.

When the "false" is at the beginning on a new block, then its not able to remove.

Only when you in the Preferences, change to big. post-32723-0-73996900-1451603581_thumb.png But If you are on big, then its impossible.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Again, break up the prior article more, then if you edit immediately before the unwanted heading you can remove it.