Pseudepigrapha English (Charles) has no translation of Solomon ?

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

I was looking at θεοτοκος this evening and found a reference in Pseudepigrapha Greek in Sol_A 26:10. Bashing my head against the Greek I then sought the English parallel to confirm my rough thoughts and found there none. In fact there does not appear to be a translation in Charles of either Solomon A or B.

Can anyone confirm whether this is indeed not present in the original or if this is a fault in the module ?

Thx

D

You are right.

post-30442-0-83808800-1451646942_thumb.png

I found that it is translated in LES (not in Acc):

"The prayer of Mary, the mother of God." (not that difficult to translate)

Hi Hans,

Thanx for this.

Yeah the LXX instance is straightforward, the pseudepigraphic reference is a little more involved. I was looking for a comparison.

I'm basically at "Glory to you, O my God, and Lord, glory to you with the glorious (this is an Acc. gloss - I have no lexicon ref for this word) bearer of God, and the precious forerunner and all the holy ones, glory to you".

What's LES ?

thx

D

Testament of solomon 26:10 Then I said to the elderly man, “In three days bring your son back to me.” When they had prostrated themselves before me, they departed.

James H. Charlesworth, The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, vol. 1 (New York;  London: Yale University Press, 1983), 982.

Odes of Solomon 26:10 Praise and honor to his name. 

Hallelujah. 

James H. Charlesworth, The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha and the New Testament: Expansions of the “Old Testament” and Legends, Wisdom, and Philosophical Literature, Prayers, Psalms and Odes, Fragments of Lost Judeo-Hellenistic Works, vol. 2 (New Haven;  London: Yale University Press, 1985), 753.

But I somehow suspect neither are what you seek...

-dan

PS: I was sure LES was Lexham English Septuagint  but I didn't see it in my copy of said resource.

Edited by Dan Francis

Hey Dan,

Thanx for that but yes indeed it's not the same thing. Ok I sort of guessed LES after posting but thanx for the confirmation. And yes this is not from the Septuagint. I'll have to check if there are any relevant notes on this somewhere. The readme says :

"
For more information on the Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, consult the following book:

The Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha of the Old Testament in English, Vol. 2
by R. H. Charles, Oxford, 1913.

"

Looks like an inter-library loan is in my future.

Thx

D

Craig Evans translation is what you need (PSEUD-E):

Sol_A 26:10 Glory to you, my God, and Lord. Glory to you, together with the exceedingly renowed bearer of God and the honored precursor; and all the holy ones, be glory to you.

I see he has a typo, but he is the expert who assembled the Greek text, too.

• Like 1

Excellent - thank you Helen. And here I was wondering what to do with the 20% coupon !

Thx

D

• Like 1

I already used my 20% off coupon so it will wait on my wish list for another sale :)

-Dan

Craig Evans translation is what you need (PSEUD-E):

Sol_A 26:10 Glory to you, my God, and Lord. Glory to you, together with the exceedingly renowed bearer of God and the honored precursor; and all the holy ones, be glory to you.

I see he has a typo, but he is the expert who assembled the Greek text, too.

Sorry, but I cannot see the typo.

RenowNned

• Like 1

RenowNned

Yes. Michael :-)

Happy New Year with Christ the Lord!!