New Bible Commentary authors

EricC

When using "copy as citation" in the New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition (IVP-NB) module (v. 1.8), I don't see any indication of who the author is (I was looking at a comment on Ecclesiastes, but I also checked another book of the Bible and also saw no author listed).

I just looked at http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=IVP-NB+Commentary, too, and I see no information there either. Is this a problem with Accordance's non-inclusion of this data or a problem with me not knowing where to find it?

Thanks

Edited by EricC

The author is mentioned at the beginning of the commentary (under Contributors) and at the end of each book, so for Ecc. it is Michael A. Eaton.

Edited by HansK

Yes, this should be fixed. Working on it now. Look for an update in a couple of days.

We've just updated the commentary to version 1.9, and it adds the appropriate bibliographic information.

• Like 5

You can find the info at www.amazon.com

I thought of that, and had only the info been important to me, something like that would have worked. However, I can't figure out why Accordance doesn't have the actual authors listed in the citatations.

I was surprised that when I looked at http://www.amazon.com/New-Bible-Commentary-Gordon-Wenham/dp/0830814426/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8, I still don't see the listing of authors. Maybe it's just that I didn't find a link to it.

We've just updated the commentary to version 1.9, and it adds the appropriate bibliographic information.

Thank you for quick service, Mark!

Using v. 1.8, below is what I found.

SBL footnote:

New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition (ed. D. A Carson et al.; Accordance electronic ed. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1994), 610.

SBL bibliography:

New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition. Edited by Carson, D. A, R. T France, J. A. Motyer, and Gordon J. Wenham. Accordance electronic edition, version 1.9. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1994.

Turabian footnote:

New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition, ed. D. A Carson et al., Accordance electronic ed. (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1994), 610.

Turabian bibliography:

New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition. Edited by Carson, D. A, R. T France, J. A. Motyer, and Gordon J. Wenham. Accordance electronic ed. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1994.

Now in v. 1.9, the author is listed:

SBL footnote:

Michael A. Eaton, Ecclesiastes (New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition; ed. D. A Carson et al.; Accordance electronic ed. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1994), 609.

SBL bibliography:

Eaton, Michael A. Ecclesiastes. New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition. Edited by D. A Carson, R. T France, J. A. Motyer, and Gordon J. Wenham. Accordance electronic edition, version 1.9. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1994.

Turabian footnote:

Michael A. Eaton, Ecclesiastes, ed. D. A Carson et al., New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition. Accordance electronic ed. (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1994), 609.

Turabian bibliography:

Eaton, Michael A., Ecclesiastes. Edited by D. A Carson, R. T France, J. A. Motyer, and Gordon J. Wenham. New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition. Accordance electronic ed. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1994.

Edited by EricC

I believe that it's quite difficult programmatically to extract the correct author correctly for each location in multi-author works. We do our best and we will try to improve it.

• Like 1

I believe that it's quite difficult programmatically to extract the correct author correctly for each location in multi-author works. We do our best and we will try to improve it.

This one with v. 1.9 seems to be just right! Thank you to Mike and the team at Accordance!

And I know one other company I will not name that makes a big deal about ease of quoting..... and it many of it's multi-author works it is a big joke constantly providing the wrong information. You can report the problem but in my experience it has not resulted in a speedy correction or any at all. Heck I have even known some of their single volumes works to ascribe wrong, one work I don't remember which one was trying to ascribe a classic work to a 20th century evangelical because they had provided an endorsing forward to the classic work. So kudos to Accordance for getting this corrected so quickly. 

-Dan

• Like 2