"Get Verses" Reference location-Hebrew text

Martin Z

Hello,

When export Hebrew text by using "Get Verses" service, the reference show up on the left side. But I want it on the right side.

When I copy directly from the pane, and paste it into word processor, the reference is on the right side.

Wonder if there is a way to change the reference location in "Get Verses" service?

Also, it seems like "Get Verses" does not work for Nisus Writer Pro. I click the insert button, but no text shows up.

It works fine on Mellel and Word. Wonder if this is a problem only to me or not.

When you open your "Get Verses" service in Automator to inspect the options available, is the "Use Citation format" enabled?

If so, then do you get different results when changing the Citation options in the Preferences of Accordance?

Some apps have not incorporated support for OS X Services. Is NWP one of them? I don't know.

Hi Joe,

I tried all options.

I don't get different results by enabling "Use Citation format."

I don't know if NWP supports or not. At least I see "Insert in NWP" button there.

You've gotta be able to get some kind of a reading on that shield Service format, up or down.

If you're not able to change the Citation Format and see different results, then you're not quite working with the right Service or something.

If you open up the correct Service, and enable "Use Citation Format", then you should be able to change the format using Accordance/Preferences/Citation.

Can you get that to work at least?

I don't know what you mean by: "I see "Insert in NWP" button".

I don't have NWP, so sorry can't be more helpful.

I see what you mean.

Here is the difference between the checked and unchecked result in Mellel:

post-32138-0-97429900-1452022058_thumb.png

I cannot change the position of the content reference to make it show up on the right.

When importing Greek or English, it should on the life. So "before verse" option is good with that. But when we work with Hebrew, which is right to left, "before verse" should be rendered differently, to my understanding. The content reference in this case should show up on the right.

post-32138-0-56668000-1452022420_thumb.png

This is what I wanted:

post-32138-0-19717900-1452022555_thumb.png

But even this, as you can see, "1 Sam 1:1" has been rendered "Sam 1:1 1."

BibleWorks does nice job in copying. (The inserting function is not support on Mac yet. Therefore, I cannot check this with BW).

post-32138-0-03247600-1452022696_thumb.png

Here is what I mean by "Insert in NWP" button:

post-32138-0-01142900-1452022098_thumb.png

I have just tried the "popup verse copy window" function in BW on Windows.

It works just as fine as the "direct copy" function with slightly different result.

post-32138-0-90459200-1452023122_thumb.png

I think the issue is that Nisus Writer is not assuming that you are working in an exclusively RTL text environment because Hebrew is being inserted.  If you are set for RTL in NWP then it will insert on the right.  

But if you are in a LTR environment it will properly insert on the left.  (This would be case if you were inserting the text in the midst of a LTR sentence in a mixed language setting.)

post-383-0-95115100-1452027661_thumb.png

I don't think this is a bug on either end.

Mike

Mike,

that is interesting!

Like I said, the insert function doesn't work with NWP on my computer. Therefore, I asked whether this is only to me or not. Looks like it works on your computer.

I tried the text direction on Mellel before, and the result was the same. That's why I didn't mention that. I confirmed this after seeing your post.

the strange thing is, after this, the service stopped working with Mellel and Word after that.

I rebooted the system. It seems back to normal. 

I was able to insert text to NWP once, and only once. I switched to Hebrew which changes the text direction automatically to right to left, then the insert text service stopped working again. I have no way to test out on myself.

Really strange...

Thank you, Mike. At least I know it should work with NWP.

Just found the problem.

1. When I switch to Hebrew keyboard on Mac, the "Get Verses" service does not work, whether NWP, Mellel or Word. Switch back to English will work.

2. When I set the text direction to RTL, "Get Verses" still insert the text as LTR. I have to manually select the inserted text and set it to RTL to make the reference appear on the right side.

There is still a problem though. "1 Sam 1:1" is correct after the text direction switch. all the rest still don't appear correctly. For instance, "1 Sam 1:2" is shown as "Sam 1:2 1."

The citation reference is also displayed wrongly as "Sam 1:1-4 1."

This problem happen to both Mellel and NWP. 

Word 2016 seems not have the text direction switch button. (Or I have missed it?)

post-32138-0-42014500-1452031148_thumb.png

Edit: also note that the vowels are misplaced in the text shown above (NWP). It is fine in Mellel.

Edited by martinacc

Martin,

When I did my original testing with NWP, I changed the language direction and keyboard setting with the NWP language controls and not the  system controls.  I went back and tested again using the system language controls and the insert verses still worked for multiple insertions.

I'll keep playing with it and see if I can trigger a failure that might highlight why we are seeing different behavior.

Mike 

Edited by Mike Thigpen

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for taking time to test it for me. I appreciate a lot!

Here is a video I recorded on my computer. It shows the problem better than my words.

See if you can duplicate it from your side. Or if you can point out what I did wrong and how to get it right, it will be great!

https://youtu.be/iZmR4vhj7L0

Blessings!