Comparing HMT with BHQ

tebel

I used the List Text Differences tool to identify the differences between HMT-W4 and BHQ. The strange thing is that most of the "differences" listed are not differences at all. There is no difference either in pointing or cantillation, and yet Accordance lists the words as different. I can understand if two identical words are listed as different if the sigla above them is different, but how do we account for differences that are not differences? And does this not undermine the whole point of being able to compare the versions?

Any ideas?

Luoar

Luoar, determining what is and is not a difference can be decided in the Preferences -> Compare Text.  Since the BHQ is not tagged, the only available comparison option is Words, so choose that at the top under Compare: .  Then, you can use the checkboxes to determine what differences you want to ignore.  In this case, if you want to ignore the sigla differences, check 'Punctuation'.

• Like 1

Thank you Joel. However, even if I set the preferences exactly as suggested "Text Differences" lists differences that are not real differences in the Hebrew. I have attached a small sample to illustrate what I am saying below. In many of the instances I am speaking about you will note that the SHEWA is placed in a slightly different position, which leads Accordance to regard it as a difference. However, this is in fact a difference only in font style and not in the Hebrew. You will also notice that even with punctuation turned off, some sigla differences are still noted. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8aJlMSvsyxWNVBTUEhYQ2hNMXM/view?usp=sharing

Thank you Joel. However, even if I set the preferences exactly as suggested "Text Differences" lists differences that are not real differences in the Hebrew. I have attached a small sample to illustrate what I am saying below. In many of the instances I am speaking about you will note that the SHEWA is placed in a slightly different position, which leads Accordance to regard it as a difference. However, this is in fact a difference only in font style and not in the Hebrew. You will also notice that even with punctuation turned off, some sigla differences are still noted. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8aJlMSvsyxWNVBTUEhYQ2hNMXM/view?usp=sharing

It looks like the positions of several vowels or accents are different, thus causing Accordance to think they are "differences." We can probably look into normalizing BHQ against HMT/BHS, but I am not sure how much work that will entail.

In the case of Deut 1:22 with the 'circlet' (which indicates a masorah reading), we are actually using another character that was already present in the Yehudit font instead of creating an entirely new one for BHQ. Accordance may not be recognizing this as a "sigla" and hence not ignoring it upon comparison.

Edited by Rick Bennett

If Accordance could make these small adjustments I for one would find it extremely helpful. As far as I know this kind of detailed comparison is only possible in Accordance. One would need to study some of the false positives in order to get the best result. The main problems seem to be with the SHEWA and HOLEM vowels, together with the circlet noted above. BTW I have checked the vowel placements in the print edition of BHQ and they do not appear off center as they do in the electronic text.

Edited by luoar