Accordance and Libre Office

Larry Wing

I know the original thrust of this thread was about LibreOffice and its ilk, but I want to add that for anyone looking to ditch Adobe products, the Affinity suite by Serif totally rocks, with NO subscription model. Having just experimented with Mac OS Catalina on my MacBook Pro, I will have to say goodbye to old versions  of Acrobat Pro and Photoshop CS 6. I said goodbye to Illustrator CS 6 a long time ago, and I never used InDesign. QuarkXPress 2016 won't work under Catalina but the 2019 version does, and I am eligible for charity pricing to get that. I can say goodbye to Age of Empires 3, and that's probably a good thing now. The only thing I cannot immediately replace is Media Pro (aka iView), but Serif is developing a DAM program that I hope will meet my needs in the future.

Coming back to LibreOffice, it is the only "Office" program I use, and I only use it to open MS Word files that may not open correctly (or at all) in Pages.

I failed to mention that PDFpenPro has replaced Adobe Acrobat Pro 11, FWIW.

Also Apple Pages, Numbers and Keynote have fully met my need in those areas, ever since the days when you had to pay for iWork. 

Edited by Alistair