User Tool Resource Link problem

Max Carlton

I have a number of User Tools in which I have Resource Links embedded in the file. Using Accordance 11.1.3, many of the links are no longer working. Attempts to repair the link work initially, but are lost during subsequent updates.

Here's a sample link:   [KM Hebrew Dictionary, Strong’s Number, 1897] 

When I hover over the link, nothing is displayed in the Instant Details window.

When I click on the link, I get the message: The hyperlink cannot be displayed because the module "             " is not installed.

I then try four methods to repair the link as follows:

First Method:

Open the Update Window

Click the Auto-link button

Save the file

Recheck the Resource Link

Now it works when I both hover and click to open the resource

Go back to further editing of the User Tool

Upon subsequent edits, when I go back to the Resource Link, it is not working again

Second Method:

Open the Update Window

Insert the resource link from scratch manually after copying from the module I want to link to

Save the file

Recheck the Resource Link

Now it works when I both hover and click to open the resource

Go back to further editing of the User Tool

Upon subsequent edits, when I go back to the Resource Link, it is not working again

Third method:

Change the Edit Block Size selection in the Preferences to "Large (fewer updates)" in order to try the Auto-Link function for the whole file at once.

Open the Update Window

Save the file

I get an error message: "The file 'Memory Verses' does not have the proper TLG format and cannot be imported"

Fourth method:

Change the Edit Block Size selection in the Preferences to "Medium" in order to try the Auto-Link function for various chunks of the whole file at once.

Open the Update Window

Save the file

Now the links work for the edited block, but links in the previously edited block no longer work

It seems like if the file would save when editing a Large Block Size, the problem would be resolved. But somehow when editing using the Large Block Size, it won't save because of the "TLG format" error.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Accordance 11.1.3

OSX 10.11.2

Edited by Max Carlton

The problem seems to be that when the User File is subsequently edited, the location data for previously edited hyperlinks are not retained. 

Clicking the hyperlink, I get various messages:

"The text "           " is not currently available to Accordance" or "The hyperlink cannot be displayed because the module "             " is not installed."

Open the Update window

Select the hyperlink

Click the Link button

Enter the data in the Resource, Field, and Search boxes

Click Ok

Save the update.

Now the link works

However, when I do any subsequent edit, regardless of what I'm editing, the previously edited hyperlink location data is gone and the link no longer works.

Problem solved.

Apparently some previously accepted verse link formats were preventing the ability to save updates. The problem references were like this: Rom 2:8, 9 or similar where the second verse reference did not include the book. Previously, this format had worked, but perhaps in one of the updates, this format was not recognized. So, I just had to change it to Rom 2:8-9 or break it up into two separate verse references that included the book name. This was the error that was causing the "TLG format" error. And somehow, this affected being able to save the Resource Link hyperlinks. Having fixed the problem verse references, everything else seems to work fine now.

Edited by Max Carlton

For me is the problems not solved, but you found a solution.

Greetings

Fabian

I should clarify that the solution to the problem that I was having is only a work-around. The bug still exists in which subsequent edits of the User Note file renders the Resource Links inoperative. The work-around that solved my problem is as follows:

After I have done an edit to the file, I then:

Change the Edit Block Size selection in the Preferences to "Large (fewer updates)". 

Open the Update Window

Save the file

Now the hyperlinks for the Resource Links work again. But on any subsequent edit, the hyperlinks become inoperative and I have to go through the previous steps in order to get them to work again. 

I had problems.

The image is from an imported html with Location URL links in the source .docx. So I can from the .docx file straight to Accordance, but by importing as User Tool ..... there are conflicts.  So that between the scripture links comes a /A> which kills the Automatic Link from the User Tool.

post-32723-0-35843900-1454241585_thumb.png

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian