Preparing teaching and sermons with Ulysses and Accordance

flips

Hi!

I've been testing Ulysses lately, and trying to figure out the best workflow. As for quoting/citation from Accordance it seems I have to decide upfront if I want to export as PDF/DOCX or HTML (until Ulysses will let me add custom markup to the parser).

The thing is: I'd like the verse number to be superscripted or similar to let the text itself be clear when I preach/teach.

In Accordance prefs under citation, I use > for blockquote, and if I'm exporting to HTML I wrap verse numbers with ~<sup> and </sup>~.

If I'm exporting to DOCX/PDF I use ++ on both sides to wrap verse numbers.

(This approach works, but I have to search/replace in Ulysses later if I want to switch to/from HTML.)

And also, compared to when pasting in Mellel/Nisus/Scrivener, I here have to manually keep track of bold and italics in the quoted text.

Also: It would be neat to find a way to export to Mellel that preserve styles and structure/outline. So far no luck with that. (I'd prefer to be independent of MS Word.)

Other people here using Ulysses?

How do you approach it?

(Maybe you just got used to the verse numbers not veing formatted differently?) :)

• Like 1

Oh, and I had to edit the style for DOCX to show comments, since I use ++ for verse number. I've customized it a lot anyways, to match my preferred output for preaching (narrow margins, large fonts etc)

Now that Ulysses is coming to iPhone, it's truly (Apple) cross-platform, so a good landing spot after Accordance for preaching and teaching. I just export from Ulysses to Nisus Writer Pro and print. Pretty simple for my purposes.

• Like 1

I had some bugs with the docx-import in Nisus, had to save as older .doc from MS Word to avoid it. I sent a bug report to Nisus. :)

Edited by flips

It would be really cool if some copy command in Accordance would copy bold text as **text**, italics as _text_ and so on ... (Markdown) ... Any developer listening? ;)

I had something similar, but this is literally my last (technological) step before preaching, so I was always in too much of a rush to worry about it. Now it's resolved, for whatever reason.

(EDIT: Post duplicated itself.)

Edited by Abram K-J