#1 John F. Hart

John F. Hart

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

I teach at a college level and have a student teaching assistant. I want him to do some research with Greek in Wallace's grammar and in Greek texts. Can I legally load Accordance on his laptop or do I have to purchase a second licensed copy of Accordance? If I put Accordance on a flash drive and he runs the program from the flash drive, is that legal instead of downloading to his computer? Can I even run Accordance from a flash drive? What other solutions are there?

John F. Hart
Professor of Bible
Moody Bible Institute

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 9,371 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

John: No, you cannot legally load Accordance on his computer, nor can you load it on a flash drive as it will not run from there. Your license lets you install on up to 5 devices for your own use, or on one device for multiple users. So you can remove Accordance from all but one of your devices, and then share that device with your student, if you want to. There is no other legal way for him to use it other than going to a library where it is installed, or buying a copy for his use.

Temporary installations are not legal, and though we have had requests, we have not pursued the matter with ALL the publishers who would have to agree. After all, if you loan a textbook to a student you cannot use it yourself at the same time. We doubt publishers would be happy with short-term licensing of their products.

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 John F. Hart

John F. Hart

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the answer, Helen. That's helpful. I'll find some resolution with these ideas and info.

John F. Hart
Professor of Bible
Moody Bible Institute

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users