International Critical Commentary and Forms of the Old Testament Literature

Andrew Nance

I just recently bought the AB and NICOT/NICNT series on Accordance. What great sales for awesome commentaries! And they are wonderful! These other series might have been requested already, but I would love to see the International Critical Commentary and the Forms of the Old Testament Literature series on here as well.

• Like 2

I know the ICC series has been discussed before, but I've recently found the need for several of these and ended up purchasing one hard copy. I am trying to decide whether to go ahead and purchase several others in hard copy (or install competing software on my computer) or whether Accordance is likely to get some or all of these titles any time soon.

(H.G.M. Williamson's Isaiah 1-5 is the only of the newer ICC volumes I've spent any time with, and it is excellent. In addition to the author's insightfulness, the ICC model and the type of work it encourages yields a level of textual analysis that goes beyond any available Accordance commentaries of which I'm aware (happily, ICC does not relegate all of the interesting stuff to footnotes!) .... which is why it takes >400 pages for 5 chapters of Isaiah.)

• Like 1

I agree about the ICC, but understand there would be a high cost to produce it. I would like to see the new volumes from the '90s and onwards come out, as well as the 1-2 Kings -volume from the '50s - I think it's an important part of the Bible, a detailed and often referred to volume - I've checked and several series spanning from older to very recent refer to it and it can be used for manuscript-differences -work since that is clearly marked in it. An older volume I particularly like is GJn by Bernard (actually two volumes) from 1928 or 1929. Regarding all the other volumes older than the '90s none of them have great value. (I previously suggested all the volumes from the '70s and onwards but I hereby withdraw that suggestion.)
My most recent purchase was Hosea by MacIntosh and I'm very pleased with it; and if I would have time to look at it more a few times before purchase I might consider Colossians/Philemon but I highly doubt I will afford it so I might as well skip it and I haven't been interested in Colossians this Winter - so since I'm trying to cut down on areas of interest I have probably already stopped buying commentaries on Colossians.
I'm not in a hurry to buy Isaiah but I did buy the volume covering Is 44:24-55:13 by Goldingay and Payne two years ago in print. I've been thinking if there's a bundle out some day with those still currently forthcoming volumes I could buy it. Meanhwhile I'll manage with AYBC OT/Apocrypha and NT and Hermeneia OT (the latter which I'm not necessarily upgrading in the future).
Hos, GJn and Is 44:24-55:13 are not all the volumes I have.
I'm still very sad that Amazon cancelled the 1-2 Thessalonians -volume by Donfried. I haven't really checked other than watching the pre-pub disappear, has T & T Clark abandoned the work on it?
The volume I skipped was the recent volume on Jas since it was based on not believing in a very early dating of the letter, if Accordance should leave out one volume from among the recent ones that would be the one to leave out; and Accordance doesn't carry, and likely will not, many of the other commentary works cited in it, anyway. The author mainly believes in a very late dating of the letter.

I know the ICC series has been discussed before, but I've recently found the need for several of these and ended up purchasing one hard copy. I am trying to decide whether to go ahead and purchase several others in hard copy (or install competing software on my computer) or whether Accordance is likely to get some or all of these titles any time soon.

(H.G.M. Williamson's Isaiah 1-5 is the only of the newer ICC volumes I've spent any time with, and it is excellent. In addition to the author's insightfulness, the ICC model and the type of work it encourages yields a level of textual analysis that goes beyond any available Accordance commentaries of which I'm aware (happily, ICC does not relegate all of the interesting stuff to footnotes!) .... which is why it takes >400 pages for 5 chapters of Isaiah.)

Bloomsbury (who owns Contiuum/T&T Clark) currently has an exclusive agreement for digital rights of their copyrighted works. When it expires (not in the imminent future) we should be able to acquire their titles for Accordance. 

We are still researching the best option for developing the older ICC volumes which are not under copyright. 

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I no-longer need the previous Decade's Colossians-volume - I suggest for it to be left out (it's dated already on the Philemon -part that is included in the volume, so I'd rather not see development efforts on that, there are also replacements in other series for Colossians - while not bad or dissapointing in ICC revising series I have very high requirements for Colossians-contributions), I go instead with the 1909 Abbott volume which Accordance did already put up for sale last Year in the public domain NT set.

I'd need Thrall's 2000 volume on 2 Cor 8-13 please! (I'd after that also buy Hermeneia old 2 Cor 8-9 if I afford (can't remember availability of individual volume for purchase of it or possible price).)

Producing most of 90's and onwards would open up for forthcoming volumes when the time comes.

Other than all this I don't adjust what all I said in the previous post about three Years ago.

I've written a lenghty review of the OT set yesterday for the eyes of those of You are NOT letting gi of getting lots of Accordance module-purchases even so!

• 2 weeks later...

I such a decision printed matter is much better, see this, one is shipping tomorrow:
https://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=critical+exegetical+commentary&ageRangesTotal=0&searchSortBy=pubdate_high_low