ISBE Revised or AYBD or ZEB?

kpang808

If I could only pick one, AYBD would get my vote. A few years back, when the "DaVinci Code" was released, I was getting a lot of questions about the Gospel of Thomas from my students. Wanting to brush up on that text and others, I started by looking up Nag Hammadi in the various dictionaries that were available to me. It was pretty impressive to see the difference in the amount of detailed information presented in Anchor, compared with ISBE Revised, ZEB, and others.

Awesome! Thanks Mark! That is very helpful and greatly appreciated.

AYBD is definitely the top of the line, but the authors come from varying viewpoints and traditions. That's a plus to many users, but some may not like to see views expressed that do not match their own beliefs.

• Like 3

Thanks Helen! I appreciate your input. Which dictionary do you use? (if you use one at all)

Edited by keithkpang

AYBD as Helen said comes from many view points... ISBE comes from a moderate evangelical point of view... ZEB I would say moderate Evangelical again, but the scholarship you find in the first two are not found in ZEB from my viewpoint.

-Dan

• Like 1

I agree with Helen and Dan.  As a conservative Christian and discerning reader I have found AYBD useful in my studies.

• Like 2

Awesome! I think I may just get AYBD and ISBE Revised, as they may go good together haha