Split the Search Box

gkpurcey

If this has already been suggested, my apologies.

But I would love to see two search areas, side by side (or one above the other, although the side by side would fit well). One search is for verses. The other search for words. This would avoid having to drop down the "Verses/Words" option each time, as I find myself about 50/50 as to which I use.

In preferences, you would then have a word search preferences and a verse search preferences where you could define defaults for each.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I do not know if you are aware of this, but for a simple search you do not even have to select which one.  I just want to a search bar set for verses and typed "a goat" and it brought up the list.  Then, I left it on wed search and typed John 1:1 and it carried me there.  So you really do not have to make the selection.  And I think a lot of people are more concerned about screen real estate.

In Christ,

Bret

Good advice Bret! I also use the keyboard shortcut command-; (control-; on a PC) to alternate between "words" and "verses". It's nice to be able to keep your hands on the keyboard when switching.

Even the search box wasn't split up as suggested, some aesthetic changes in the search box would help. Any search for words over one line gets all mangled. Being able to break it up (as with the tools) would be great.

All mangled how?  Can you post a screenshot?  Why not drag the divider line below the box to expand the area and see all of your lines?

You can take a screenshot using Shift-Command-3, and then attach the file called Screen Shot [Date].png from your Desktop.

Yes, so what is wrong in the screenshot? It may look odd, but logically it is correct.  You have selected the characters following properName, which is the word gentilic (since English is left to right) and the @-=*0, since that is back to defining Hebrew, so right to left.

Yes, so what is wrong in the screenshot? It may look odd, but logically it is correct.  You have selected the characters following properName, which is the word gentilic (since English is left to right) and the @-=*0, since that is back to defining Hebrew, so right to left.

Everything. I selected from end to the other and it select half of it. Most of the time, when its two lines of a search, it does display right either. Not to mention any attempt to correct anything screws the rest of it up with weird symbols.

Attempting to edit a long search like this is impossible. Start it over and best not make any mistakes.

Agreed. This is what I usually have to do.

None of what you describe is occurring for me.  Can you give a specific example?  I recreated your exact screenshot posted earlier, and everything selects, interacts, and edits smoothly for me.  Again, remember the principles of the LTR and RTL logic interaction, but when I clicked and dragged from the right end to the left, or from the left end to the right, everything was selected.  Only in the middle of the drag, where the temporary selection was in the middle of a differently aligned text, did it look as you described.  But, even in this case it makes sense.  I am also able to edit the search without difficulty.

Thanks for the follow up Joel and Rick. Its still tricky. I usually just start over.