Cross-highlighting for MT-LXX

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

In playing with the MT-LXX I have found myself looking for cross-highlighting like we have in the syntax panes. I have no idea how hard this would be but given the format of the MT-LXX data it would speed up finding things if cross highlighting were present. Of course as my Hebrew improves this will be less of a problem but would still be nice.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Short of somebody tagging the LXX with Strong's Hebrew numbers or Hebrew lexical forms, we are relying on the MT-LXX Parallel as the basis for algorithms that produce the interlinear display and the MT-LXX Analysis. Cross-highlighting could be added but it would be no more accurate than those two features, which you have just exposed as less than perfect.

Ah ok many thanx. I found after logging this that the MT-LXX interlinear also helps a good bit.

Thx

D

I'd second the cross highlighting between different versions. For the LXX, could it not be based off Tov's MT-LXX? This would make things very nice.

Could not the the MT be manually aligned to the LXX...? There's some great tools out there for this. Starting with Tov's tool would speed things up tremendously.

Thanks!

As we have said, using the MT-LXX from Tov and Pollak requires algorithms that are never perfect. This is because the lines contain prefixes and suffixes in Hebrew and often equivalent phrases in Greek. It is NOT a word for word lineup. Tagging the LXX for Hebrew, or producing a word for word parallel is a monumental task.

+1

Count me in! :) For those in the text crit world, textual alignment is key. Monumental, but still key. Happy to help in any way.

Thanks!

Would it be possible to use the merge command in some way here...? I'm thinking it would go like so: (1) search for Hebrew Lex (2) merge in MT-LXX (3) mark  LXX column as HITS in MT-LXX (4) merge LXX column HITS in LXX text.

Thoughts?

Are you referring to the algorithms in the analysis MT-LXX item? Is there a way to see it with a parallel pane text...?  I half way a achieve this with two tabs tied together: (1) MT and (2) LXX. Then I have two independent searches: hebrew and greek. But these aren't textual align so not as efficient or precise as having the data right from Tov's MT-LXX.

All that to say, I'd like to see cross highlighting and/or parallel HITS between texts of different languages when in the same pane. This would speed up text critical analysis quite a bit. And assist ancient translation technique studies.

Thanks!

Edited by farcas

I've been mulling this over for a few days. Shortening my much longer draft ....

Tagging LXX for Hebrew is a ton of work and only doing it for the purpose of cross-highlighting doesn't seem a great way to go. If it were already done then that would be different. I'm not sure however how valuable such tagging would be to people in LXX studies as I suspect that they would have a good grip on the languages already.

Cross-highlighting to the word accurately with the MT-LXX would be tricky as demonstrated by http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/18034-mt-lxx-analytics/though even Strong's style tagging has it's weaknesses.

Doing a custom word to word tagging for the purpose of cross-highlighting would likewise be a ton of work and being single purpose it's a big ask.

One thing that would be useful and more straightforward and for which the data is already present, would be cross highlighting of phrases, using the MT-LXX records as the link between LXX and HMT panes in a parallel setup. That would provide a visual queue to quickly locate the parallel sections in each pane.

I opened this thread partly to gauge interest in such a feature. So far I'm not seeing a lot.

thx

D

I would really love such a feature.

But I would more love to have in LXX both tagging. The greek and the Hebrew. It would be possible to add both numbers without confusion. But I know Accordance is not able at the moment to handle two tagging in one Bible. Same in Latin. 

Greetings

Fabian