Prospective Buyer Soliciting Advice: Primary Interest -- Original Languages

JohnABarnett

I am investigating the purchase of a premium Bible software program for Windows 10 primarily for use with original languages. While looking only at Logos 6 vs. Bibleworks 10 and reading everything about these alternatives that I could find on the web, I kept running into mentions of Accordance, so now I am looking at this as well.

I was VERY pleased that I could download a demo version to get an idea how things looked and worked. I was also VERY pleased with the prompt technical support I received when the demo wasn't launching properly.

30+ years ago as part of preparations for a teaching career in Biblical Studies I took two years of Greek, a course in textual criticism, and a year of Hebrew. I studied under, among others, John Sailhamer at Biola College and Colin Brown at Fuller Theological Seminary. But the Lord had plans for a different course for my life than the one for which I was preparing. I am now 61, retired due to health issues, and on a fixed income. We are in the process of selling our house and downsizing, and I have a one-time source of funds to make a purchase. I simply HAVE to get any choices right the first time.

Having always had a rather scholarly bent, with what energies I have I want to review and, as necessary, relearn my Greek and Hebrew. I also want to do serious exegetical work in both Testaments in the original languages as a way to profitably use my time. My son-in-law is studying to become a pastor, and I would like to be a positive and broadening influence as he develops. I'd like to help him appreciate the humility and openness needed to adequately approach the richness of original language work.

I am very interested to read any comments from users on: (A) the relative merits Logos 6 - Bibleworks 10 - Accordance 11 for original language work and for user notes.

I am also interested in recommendations based on the experience of users with a similar bent as my own as to whether it is best to buy the Original Language collection and add on as needed or to go with the Essential or Advanced collection.

I have looked on at videos, read reviews, looked at comparison charts, etc. What I am looking for is user recommendations and feedback.

Thanks so much to anyone who cares to share their opinions and experience.

Edited by JohnABarnett

I a few particular interests in the relative merits of the Big Three Bible software makers.

1. Their potential for staying healthy and alive in a tough business climate.

2. Their ability to keep up with a changing software climate and current software.

3. The avoidance of a relationship that requires ongoing commitments of large amounts of money. I won't have the ability to do that.

4. Their responsiveness to customer feedback and to technical support requests. (Accordance rates an "A" for my first experience with technical support for the demo.)

5. Their suitability as an overall original language platform.

I also noticed on the forums that there was an Accordance sale over the holidays. Since I need to conserve money, is there a cycle of sales that are regular such that one might be able to predict when they might come around again?

Edited by JohnABarnett

Hi john,

I spent ages looking before i jumped for accordance a number of years ago and went for an origi nal languages as although the other sets are excellent value, there were too many titles i wouldnt use, so spend ages looing at what is i ncluded in each collection and decide if you want, need or will use.

Also spend ages looking at other titles that are not included in a set but are offered by accordance and which of those you may prefer.

I have purchased many resources over the years, usually waiting for them to be on sale and there have been some brilliant sales, particularly when they are for resources you want! you just need patience and frequently there is a global 15 or 20% of everything so you can build your library as you need things. New titles are usually available as a discount. There is also a minister discount for your son in law.

Look at the forum and you will see that accordance staff are very active on itand support is first rate. (Especially see how often helen contributes, and also see how many respond on weekends).

Accordance is available for windows and mac and ios and again the forum shows that they are really in touch with each os update

There are many threads in the forum where users share their experiences with other software so i would put in a few key words and search the foum.

;o)

Ps ive been using accordance since version 8 and wouldnt be without it.

Edited by ukfraser

Thanks for your comments, Fraser.

Well, I'm going to short-circuit this thread. On the Accordance Facebook page I saw there was a March SwitchNow discount that made the purchase of Accordance Essential pretty much a no-brainer. Thanks for the help of those at Accordance, those who commented, and those who PM'd me for their assistance in helping me make this decision.

I continue to welcome comments on this thread, even after the decision has been made.

• Like 5

Hey John,

I use Accordance for OL studies and have done now for several years - three and a half almost I guess. I started with the Starter collection and upgraded to OL. I have added a bunch of modules to that mostly aimed at OL study. Accordance has been a huge help though you'll see from my posts about the place that I tend to get my start with the languages outside the software. But there are plenty of grammars and lexica for Greek and Hebrew work, fewer for more arcane languages not unnaturally. With Essential if you do indeed go further with OL you will likely want a couple of the standard lexica like HALOT and BDAG. I use both all the time - strictly BDAG mostly but HALOT more as my Hebrew comes online. Other things of interest may include syntax modules but there is a learning curve with them and you don't need them immediately.

You asked a few practical questions about which I can say very little so here it is :

1. they've been at this game since 1989 - http://www.accordancebible.com/OakTree-Software

2. they added iOS app support a number of years back (maybe 5), then Windows a couple (don't quote me I cannot remember) years ago. They are updating code to more modern paradigms over time. So they keep up - no mean feat with a large code base. I use it both on Windows 10 and OSX.

3. I tend to buy more modules over time, and of course if anyone asks they are essential. But I know that people still run version 8 and haven't upgraded and it still runs. I know it cannot run very recent modules so they are to some extent sticking with what they have. Oaktree do not have a subscription pricing system. You buy it, and you own it, and they give you free updates as modules are corrected. Software point releases have so far been free upgrades. Major releases cost a little - $50 (ok 49.9) http://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Upgradesfor 10 to 11.

4. Yep - this you already know. I find the people dead honest, approachable and helpful.

5. I'm still using it as are many others for OL work, and not just amateurs like me, but academics who do this stuff for a living. Some will say certain things ought to be possible and are not, or that they wish such and such a feature was supported and it isn't. If you find yourself in that position, ask for the feature - we all do it :) Over time features that are requested and for which there is sufficient interest do get implemented though understandably it can take time. See http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/forum/8-feature-or-module-request/. Still, you may find things you would really like to see but others don't or they do not fit into current schedules or what have you. But I find it a good platform. I do have my wishlist of course but I find the platform very good for OL work. I have used Logos a little, Olive Tree a little and MySword a bit, but I use Accordance every day.

Good luck with your studies.

D

• Like 1

Thanks for your detailed comments, Daniel.

John – After you've been using Accordance for a little while, see if you can make it to one of the free training seminars.  They're very helpful.  The webinars, too, are helpful & free.  You'll benefit most after using the software for a while and collecting some questions.  These forums, also, are a wonderful source of information and encouragement.  

I've been using Accordance for over 12 years.  I started out English-only and have since acquired quite a bit of Greek and a smattering of Hebrew.  I'd give up my dishwasher before I'd give up Accordance.  It has been the single most important tool in my study of the Bible and the languages in which it was written.

• Like 2

I'd give up my dishwasher before I'd give up Accordance.

Wow! Now that's a testimonial. We may have to start putting that in the promotional brochures. 

Except for the fact, Julie, that I thought your dishwasher's name is Steve :-)

• Like 2

Thanks, Julie. I so happens I was watching a Webinar session when I got notification of your post.

Wow! Now that's a testimonial. We may have to start putting that in the promotional brochures. 

Except for the fact, Julie, that I thought your dishwasher's name is Steve :-)

Ha!  Steve does very, very few dishes.  No laundry.  But he's great with grilling chicken & salmon.

Ha!  Steve does very, very few dishes.  No laundry.  But he's great with grilling chicken & salmon.

Is that the Steve who took my calls the last few days? If so, VERY helpful man, if not so much with the dishes, then with the customers.

Nope... different Steve!

And I do my share of dishes...

Edited by Steve Carruth
  • Like 1

The Accordance staff members are exceedingly gracious and helpful!. Forum members are equally gracious and helpful as well! 

Edited by Solly

The Accordance staff members are exceedingly gracious and helpful!. Forum members are equally gracious and helpful as well! 

Two days into the Accordance community, I have most certainly found both these statements to be true.

Welcome & Dont forget to change your signature, your a user now!

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Ps i suggest you think very carefully what you synch onto your iphone. Its very easy to add and remove modules so i would just put the essential ones you need first unless you have a vast amount of free storage.

;o)

Ps i suggest you think very carefully what you synch onto your iphone. Its very easy to add and remove modules so i would just put the essential ones you need first unless you have a vast amount of free storage.

;o)

So far I haven't been able to figure out how to make the content available on my desktop PC available on my iPhone. The help files I have found only mention synching a Mac and an iPhone, and so far I haven't found anything in my desktop Accordance that will trigger it either. It may be there, I just can't figure out where.

Sorry havent got my pc any longer so cant check, but if you open it, if there is an option to synch with remote devices, switch on iphone and it will find it, i use tethered)

But you should be able to do it on the iphone, though this sometimes fails.

Open accordance on iphone

On bottom thereis a cog and you can log into your account, same details as pc account

Also there is a down arrow in a circle, if you click that you get two options

Easy install will list your purchases ( only after you logged in)

Updates useful in the future as errors are reported and fixed in what you have bought.

Do you know the login and password for your Accordance account? If so, the first thing you'll do is navigate to your Library on your iOS device, as in this image:

01.jpg

Next, open your settings:

02.jpg

Now, open your account settings and enter your username and password. 

03.jpg

When you're done there, go back to your main view and click on the circled button below. That will allow you to see and download all your purchases.

04.jpg

Nice one mark, screenshots always good!

;o)

• Like 2

Thanks so much, Mark. That did the trick.

I take it I need to check what purchased resources I want to download so as to save storage space on my iPhone.

• Like 1

That's right. Just select the items you want to download and then press the button marked "1". If you want to select them all at once, click the button marked "2".

IMG_1044.jpg

Edited by Mark Allison

You all are the best-est! Thanks for your quick help.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just stumbled upon this thread John, glad it all worked out for you with Accordance Essential. I have just bought the OL package when it was on sale and love it. Hopefully they do another sale on the Essential because I totally missed it by like a month I guess! I hope to upgrade to the Essential soon but would love to grab it at the sale price you got.