Streamline workspace changes, please :)

SimonCHulse

Hey, 

I find it annoying the way that when I open a new workspace, an entirely new window opens. I'd like to request that an option be made available to stop this happening- so that, essentially, all the currently open tabs close and are replaced with the tabs for the other workflow without opening or closing any windows.

This would mean I would not have to keep closing windows whenever I switch workspaces and would be very helpful for my workflow.

Do you guys agree?

Simon

Edited by SimonCHulse

Hi, Simon!

Actually, you already have that option in Accordance. Rather than opening a brand new Workspace, try saving several different Workspaces. Each should be designed for a specific kind of study. When you want to switch studies, open a saved Workspace by using the Workspaces button on the Toolbar. The saved Workspace will open with all the tabs and zones in place and filled.

A New Workspace is exactly what the name implies: a blank slate from which you can start afresh.

• Like 1

Hi, Simon!

Actually, you already have that option in Accordance. Rather than opening a brand new Workspace, try saving several different Workspaces. Each should be designed for a specific kind of study. When you want to switch studies, open a saved Workspace by using the Workspaces button on the Toolbar. The saved Workspace will open with all the tabs and zones in place and filled.

A New Workspace is exactly what the name implies: a blank slate from which you can start afresh.

I love this feature of Accordance.  I have a Workspace for textual studies, one for doing homework, one that includes a User Tool for recording prayer and Scripture reading for each day (2016 Journal), etc..  Some, like the Daily Reading and  2016 Journal, are resaved each day.

• Like 1

I think Simon gets this, but was asking why the new workspace opening can't automatically close or replace the workspace currently open so he doesn't end up with more and more workspaces open. As far as I know there us currently no way to do this.

Simon, have I understood your issue?

I think Ken is correct in how he read Simon's request.  But I for one like the way it works.  I almost always want to add workspaces to what is currently open. On the extremely rare occasion I want to replace the workspace, I simply close the old one.  So if any changes were implemented, I would want the default to remain as it is currently.

In Christ,

Bret

I too thought the original inquiry intended this.

Simon, On OSX this can be done quite simply with an Automator Service running a piece of Applescript that first closes the current workspace and then opens the File-> Open… dialog so you can pick the next workspace. As you then have a service you can assign a keyboard shortcut to it making it simple to use.

Here's the code I used :

on run {}
    set accordProcess to getAccordanceProcess()

try
        -- Activate Accordance
        tell application "Accordance"
            activate
        end tell
    end try

tell application "System Events"
        tell accordProcess
            click menu item "Close" of menu 1 of menu bar item "File" of menu bar 1
            tell me to doDelay(1)
            click menu item "Open…" of menu 1 of menu bar item "File" of menu bar 1
        end tell
    end tell
end run

(*
 * Get the Accordance process name.
 * I suspect this is overkill for versions 10+ but will thin it out later
 * Returns : the process object
 *)
on getAccordanceProcess()
    tell application "System Events"
        try
            return process "acord"
        on error
            try
                return process "Accord"
            on error
                return process "Accordance"
            end try
        end try
    end tell
end getAccordanceProcess

(*
 * Do a standard length delay using the OS sleep command
 * This is done in the OS because the AS sleep bloats to
 * very large values when called within iterative structures.
 * I don't actually know why this is so but it is possible
 * to get 10 second or higher sleeps when requesting just 1.
 * Returns : Nothing.
 *)
on doDelay(delayT)
    do shell script ("sleep " & delayT)
end doDelay

Thx

D