New User- Quick questions for my Greek class

romans6

Hello everyone, 

I am new to the forum and just purchased the OL package that was on sale! I am taking Greek 2 and am learning how to translate 1 John. I have two questions that would really make my life easier until I have time to learn Accordance better when my semester ends. Please help :)

1. I would like to set up my workspace so that The Greek NA28 NT would be on top, then directly below it I would like my ESV with Strong's to show up. I don't want them side by side like you do when it says Add Parallel. Is there anyway to offset them line for line in the program?

2. In the beginning it also asks you would like to set up your preferences. I clicked verse for verse, the other option was to display paragraph by paragraph. How do you toggle this feature on and off? 

Thanks for your time, this would be really helpful until my semester finishes so that I can study the program and the functions better. Also, any prayers would be appreciated, it has been a very stressful semester in regards to my workload.

Thanks!

Hi ya,

Regarding 1.

Open a new workspace (File-> New Workspace)

Open a new tab with the NA28 Greek NT in it.

Add a parallel from the parallel pull down for the ESVS. It will be side by side probably.

Then there will appear and icon next to the Add Parallel pull down. This is for switching orientation of parallels from vertical to horizontal. Click it that will put them one above the other.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by offset them line by line. I tend to set text pane display to "Separate Verses". The "Set Text Pane Display" is available from the little gear wheel icon on the pane border.

Regarding 2. It's been a while since I did such initial setup. Generally speaking there are two ways to set display up. One is in the preferences for all texts or tools or what have you. The other is via the gear wheel "Set .... Pane Display" just mentioned above to customize it for specific texts or tools. I don't know of a shortcut to change the display format for verse display. CMD-T will open the "Set .. Pane Display" if I recall correctly.

Good luck, welcome,

D

• Like 1

Hello Daniel, thanks so much for the help. What I mean by question 1 is that I would like to be able to have 1 verse of NA28 showing then immediately under that verse I would like a line of ESV, then under that another verse of NA28, then under that a verse of ESV, etc. So basically 2 texts in one one window pane. Is that possible?

Edited by romans6

If you place the cursor over the verse ref then control-click > research all texts, that will give you a list of each version of that verse.  By placing your favourite translations near the top of your library list you can arrange the order in which you view them.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

And don't forget that you can use the interlinear feature to quickly look at each text.

• Like 3

Romans6, you can print text this way, or you can add an interlinear to see the english words under each greek word, but Accordance does not allow the blending of two different texts into one pane.

Generally we've found that users find alternative and often more effective ways of viewing the text.  What are you hoping to see when viewing the verses interleaved line by line?

All of these responses helped out. Paul, I like how you can research each text so quickly and I just organized my favorite texts to the top like you suggested. Mark, I hadn't explored interlinear option at all and it is super helpful. Joel, these options that were given are sufficient for what I wanted for sure. It is just merely a preference thing for how I wanted to view them. 

Thanks!