How to save over/edit an existing workspace?

romans6

Hello, 

I have made multiple workspaces but was wondering how you edit them and save over them? I have been deleting and creating new workspaces as I tweak them but it is becoming cumbersome. Is it possible to just edit an existing workspace I have created and then save it?

Thanks!

Yep. Just open the existing WS and make whatever changes you want. The File->Save menu item will become active. Click that to save. Alternatively cmd-S to save it. Sometimes you might be asked to overwrite the existing file - obviously say yes if that's what you want.

Help on WS : http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX11/Default.htm#topics/03_ai/work_with_workspaces.htm%3FTocPath%3DThe%2520Accordance%2520Interface%7CWorkspaces%252C%2520Zones%252C%2520and%2520Tabs%7C_____2

Thx

D

• Like 2

Wow that was simple enough, thanks! I was looking for a specific edit function for the workspace that I thought would have a particular save button within it. Thanks for the help!

Funny you should ask this, I have been trying to work this out myself. The "File -> Save" menu option is not very intuitive, I was like "Perhaps this saves the "workspace", or what does it save". My conclusion has been, yes, I think this does save the workspace, but I am not sure.

"File -> Save" saves the workspace.

"File -> Save Session" saves all your open workspaces.

• Like 1

Does the Add Workspace, the bottom item on the Toolbar Workspaces Button menu, do the same action as a File -> Save? From my experiments, it appears to do so without the overwrite file query, but I may be missing something. I am using Accordance 11.1.6.

Yes, the "Add Favorite Workspace" option will open a save dialog. By default it will save your workspace to the "Accordance Files" folder, located in your Documents folder.

I highly recommend making use of Saved Sessions. That way you can be free to take a given task (sermon prep, book study, word study, paper writing) and not have to cram all the resources into a single Workspace.

• Like 2

Abram, thanks for the reminder of the Saved Sessions. I think I know how I will conduct my next experiments: with sessions in Accordance. I spend about half my Accordance time in useful/productive study and the other half just experimenting and learning the logic of the system--fortunately my little experiments allow me to do more in my productive time! I really appreciate the way Accordance works. :)

• Like 1

That sounds like a great way to do it. I've also found those times of experimenting (when you can get them) pay dividends for future work.

• Like 1

Hey Abram,

When you are using a multi-workspace session are you using multiple monitors so you can see it all at once or are you switching between the W/S ?

Thx

D

I switch between Workspaces using hot corners. I don't have an external monitor to use, but I'd imagine that opens up some fun possibilities!

• Like 1

The first thing it opens up is your wallet :)

But after that you can get bragging rights on square footage of screen space and such for sure :)

I like being able to see more side by side at one time, though of course one only looks at one thing at a time of course.

I tend to do things in single workspaces but I can imagine a larger research project in multiple - and that would be when I might want more screens too.

The newer MBP's can drive four I understand.

Thx

D

Daniel, your question just gave me an idea--multiple Desktops. Yes, it is possible to put each  workspace  in its own Desktop. I love sliding between desktops rather than using the Window menu to select the workspace. Oh my, it is like I am back working on a SPARC workstation!

• Like 2

I use MC because, well what can you do, it's all you can use. I'd really prefer KDE. (Haven't had my old Sun Ultra for a long time now.) But yes that's what you can do. My Mac is single screen, my laptop when at home is dual screen. What I really want is an origami laptop. http://www.rugged-portable.com/tiger-direct-april-fool/.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Daniel, I have a friend that believes in one computer per task. A bunch of Mint Boxes, Raspberry Pi units, and standard laptops tied into a set of screens that looks like the origami set-up. Oh yes, one unit to rule them all and allow the mouse to move across the whole array as if it where one screen as well as inter-unit communication (actually cut and paste from one computer to another via the screen array). I just look and drool. 

I'd not seen MintBoxes - cool. Maybe one preloaded with Acc on wine ? Very nice.

As to your friend's system. Very cool - a little unwieldy for most people but way fun for a geek.

The cut and paste between units is cool.

Hope he/she has NAS behind it all so you have common storage (and backups), at least when you want it.

Thx

D

Indeed. Even backups kept off site. This fellow makes his living as a contractor to businesses with very nonstandard data analysis needs. 

• Like 1

Hey Abram,

Just got round to looking at this. Are you using a Hot Corner set to Application Windows to then see all the Acc workspaces in the open session ? I can see how this could work.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Yep! Been doing that since day one with Accordance.

• Like 1

Thanx Abram - makes sense.

D