Report a Correction needs correction

dandennison

I use Inbox by Gmail and have it set as my default mailto: handler. It appears from the Lighting the Lamp podcast that report a correction uses the default mailto: handler to pre-populate an email with the details on where the correction is to be made along with a user-specified comments field.

What does work: Using Report a Correction starts my default web browser

What does not work: The browser is not then instructed to head to a compose box in Inbox by Gmail. It simply opens to a blank (new tab) page.

If I had to guess this functionality is broken for all webmail users.

In any case, what prompted me to do this is an error in Daily Light today (April 25 Morning):

Ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins. (John 3:5)

This phrase is from 1 John 3:5, not John 3:5.

Best,

Dan

I have made note of the Correction (Thank you!), but someone else will need to respond regarding the webmail.

Hi Dan,

What browser are you using ? I use Firefox on Mac and GMail and this functionality is working for me.

It sounds like the browser is correctly set up as the default browser and that Acc is causing that to be used when you report a correction. It is possible then that the browser does not know what to do with a mailto request. In my browser config there is a an Application association for mailto that says "Use GMail". If you can double check that for whichever browser you are using that may get it sorted out.

That said I do not use Inbox by GMail but just regular GMail. But I would expect the same basic principle to apply.

thx

D

Ok so having just checked this out my answer might be a little off. It turns out that Inbox by GMail is an app. I had assumed this was a browser plugin which it possible is on OSX. So is this happening on iOS or on OSX ? In addition I see, having re-read your post after some coffee, that you have already set up this as your default mailto handler, though I am not sure exactly where you did this - in the browser or at the OS level.

Thx

D

This is Chrome on OSX El Capitan, iMac late 2015 quad 4GHz Core i7

I had a bit more of a look at Inbox. I am not even sure that it can be set as the default mailto handler. I have GMail set as my default handler in Firefox but that's just regular GMail. I cannot see a way to set Inbox up to do that, at least not in FF. I tried setting the Inbox setting to always redirect GMail to Inbox but no dice - it still composed in regular GMail.

Have you been able to get this to work with a regular mailto: link in another app or browser ? If I just type mailto:<email> into FF I get the regular GMail.

BTW: I did some experiments with Chrome and despite setting it up as the default browser and clicking on the little icon they mention in one of the help posts I never really got it working for mailto.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

I'm relieved that someone is looking into this.  My emails go out, but I'm not getting the usual acknowledgment from Accordance.  

I'm using a Mac running El Cap, latest version, and Accordance, latest version.

I've just resent three that went out yesterday that received no reply.

Still no reply.

Here are the needed corrections –

“ἔχοντα”

Justin 1:3, APOL-T v2.1

Comments:  I think this must be nominative plural neuter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“ταῦτα”

Justin 1:3, APOL-T v2.1

Comments:  I think this should be accusative, not nominative

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“28:22”

ἀξιόω (Paragraph 4591), Mounce Analytical v1.2

Comments:  Needs to be hyperlinked

Julie--I have received all of these reports (twice). I'm not sure of the settings on the auto-reply. That's not an Acc thing ... that's a mail server thing.

These sound like two different issues. The issue Dan reported is a sender side issue where he is unable to get the preferred email client to be the one used when sending correction reports. I could not get Inbox by Gmail to be used either but I'm pretty sure that has very little chance of being an Accordance issue.

The response thing is a server side issue. I haven't posted a correction in a while but I know that I would get at most one response per day no matter how many corrections I posted in that day. And that was deliberate on Oaktree's part I believe. But perhaps even that is now broken.

Thx

D

I receive a response for every correction. Well, yes, they are sent from my computer, but I still get them by email.

Ok so I just sent two corrections and for the first I received an almost immediate response. The second has not received one. Now they are both for the same module (LXX-B ) so that may make a difference. In any case the response system seems to be working. Any chance Julie that your responses a being classified as spam or being filtered to a special folder ?

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

I received both of yours. I think it is set to send one auto-response per day ... but I don't know why Julie wouldn't get a response on the reports she sent.

Thanx Julie P, that 's what I remembered.

Hey –

Whatever the issue was, it seems to be OK now.  I just sent a report and got an almost immediate response.  That has always been the norm until recently.  I do have a Junk mailbox, but I always check it.  The Correction Report responses always go to my Accordance mailbox – I have never had one end up in Junk or Trash.

I'm sorry, Julie, that y'all got duplicates.  Without a response at this end, I thought they had not gone through so I sent them again.  Email problems around here are very rare, and generally happen only when Apple has a problem.

I'm sorry, Julie, that y'all got duplicates.  Without a response at this end, I thought they had not gone through so I sent them again.  Email problems around here are very rare, and generally happen only when Apple has a problem.

No problem. If I get duplicates within a day or two, I usually catch them. But it's not a real problem otherwise either. We're good! Glad you are back in the loop :)

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing a similar problem, using Gmail, in Chrome, under Windows 10. Is there an address that I can use to create an email directly to report a correction?

In the meantime, the error that I want to report is that the word הצור in Deut. 32:4 is miscoded as absolute, when it is in fact determined.

I just realized that "determined" relates only to Aramaic; ignore my correction!

Hi Harvey,

Since upgrading to Win 10 from 7 I have not been able to report corrections from Acc via GMail which I use in Firefox. It seems that Microsoft have made this impossible. It was pretty hard in 7 actually but I got it going. I have been avoiding Chrome but finally relented tonight as it seems at least it can be made to work. And indeed I got it going - sort of yay

Once you have Chrome installed go to gmail or inbox.google.com. Then you should see an icon at the right end of the URL box that looks like this :

post-32023-0-89343200-1465015434.jpg

Click on that and let it install the handler.

Then go to Start menu -> Default Programs. Click on Associate File Type or Protocol with program.

Scroll way down until you get to all the protocols in upper case. Find MAILTO.

Select that line and either double click or click the Change Program button.

You should be able to choose Chrome from that menu.

Close the window and you should now be able to report corrections via GMail in Chrome.

To do that just select the text you want to report and right click and select Report a Correction. It should prepare a mail for you in which you can add other details and then send it off.

Thx

D

Still cannot report corrections in 11.2.1 Mac (browser window opens but no compose box)

In June 7 Evening of Daily Light on the Daily Path, the pasted references are wanting:

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour. (Col. 2:13, 14) Having forgiven you all trespasses, blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross. (Psa. 103:2, 3)

Bless the Lord, O my soul, … who forgives all thine iniquities. (II Cor. 10:4, 5)

dandennison : trying navigating to chrome://settings/handlers. It should popup a box for mailto handlers to choose from. Select as appropriate, presumably inbox.google.com. Now in my case this does not work because FF is very resistant to being displaced as the default browser which is fine by me, though curious. But as Chrome is already opening for you this is probably all you need.

OK: I tried rebooting my Mac after setting this stuff up in Chrome. That finally made it work in Chrome. It doesn't strike me as something which should require that but perhaps the app launcher needed a kick. Anyhow so yes it can be made to work on Mac.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

@Harvey : I am not sure what would be wrong in your case. I know windows was a bear to set up in Win 7 with FF and impossible in 10 so far. But Chrome was relatively easy comparatively. When you say it doesn't work what does happen when you select some text in an Accordance module, right click and select Report a Correction ?

thx

D

דָנִיאֶל: That did work, finally!

So questions remain:

1) How did Chrome get into this state?

2) Should we add this to a support FAQ?

and with this, I think we can close this thread.

Yay!

1. No idea - I actually don't know what got into what state. I use FF and convincing the Mac to switch over was a little tricky. I don't know if the same applies to your system. When I tried to get back from Chrome to FF Apple Mail managed to get in the way briefly.

2. Honestly I think a comprehensive FAQ on setting up non-standard mailto support on each platform would be good, but I've seen enough variation that it would have a lot in it if it were comprehensive. Last night after configuring Chrome on my Mac to work through this I wanted to revert to Firefox. That was also not straightforward. Finally I remembered something I read somewhere once - boot Apple mail and use it to configure the mailto client. That worked. That may have been possible for setting up Chrome too but I didn't go back around to check it out.

Windows is hard too because, Win 7 is different from Win 8 or 10.

So yep I think it's a good idea but it would need to be updated from time to time with different platforms or other mail programs that people use. It would also require some tests to be done. A forum topic in each platform forum could be used, or something like that, or perhaps a document on the Exchange or something.

And we still don't know what's up with Harvey's configuration on Windows. This is easy with standard tools for the platform in question and varies from difficult to impossible for the non-standard ones. I don't know how many of us try to use non-standard solutions or which ones are popular. So people need to be able to add to the FAQ or make submissions for adding to it. I'm not where such a thing should live but we do have the beginnings of the material for it it would seem. Joel, anyone at Acc have a suggestion for where such a FAQ might live ?

Thx

D

Dan, when I got to chrome://settings/handlers, the "Active protocol handlers" box that appears has no entries in it, and no obvious way to add ones.

Looking around, I see many complaints about Windows 10's refusing to accept changes to "mailto". The problem may be a Windows problem.

If you have any other suggestions, I'll be happy to try them.