Acc not accepting , as verse-separator (all of a sudden)

mortenjensen

Hi,

All of a sudden, Accordance has stopped accepting commas as vers-separators, i.e.: Lev 16,16 vil take me to Lev 16,1 - whereas Lev 16:16 will take med to Lev 16:16. Can this be confirmed by other users - or is it something on my system?

Morten

I was in mid-post when Fabian responded. Check "Use European verse notation" under the Appearance Preferences.

Thanks, yes, I recently changed that, since I am doing my writing in English and like to export search lists by SBL-style.

So mystery solved.

But I would like to suggest that the syntax of the search line is untied from the appearance/export features.

Actually, I would like to suggest a more "smart" syntax that would:

- accept three types of separators no matter appearance settings: : , and space.

- when a certain book, chapter and verse is searched and displayed, it should be enough just to type in a single number for another verse in the same chapter or chapter/verse for another chapter and verse in the same book. 

This would ease the use and number of key strokes needed to browse via the command line.

What do you think?

Morten

The problem, Morten, is that for many users, "Lev 16,17" means chapters 16 and 17 of leviticus, not verse 17 of chapter 16.  This difference is why we must parse the comma differently depending on your preferences.

Thanks Joel, but would that not be 16, 17 to be correct?

I see the difficulties by establishing a more forgiving syntax that stays consistent at the same time.

What about my suggestion about not being compelled to retype book (and chapter), when looking up in the same chapter/book? Would that be possible without syntax conflicts?

That would actually ease the workflow, since you would be able to hit just Tab + new verse + return.

Morten

Many times users leave off spaces - this is something that we generally need to be more flexible on than the european vs american styles.

In the Goto box, typing a simple number will go to that chapter in the current book.  Typing a chapter and verse (e.g. 5:4 or 5,4) will go to that specific location.  Typing just the verse (e.g. :4 or ,4) will go to that verse.