HB stuck in Separate Verses view

Michel Gilbert

Hi,

This morning I was reading HMT-W4 (Biblia Hebraica) in Paragraphs mode. After I tried to change the font to Ezra SIL (Settings > Text Display > Text Font - I guess even though the option is there, it doesn’t change the Hebrew font), and changed the Background Color to “Book,” the HB text reverted back to Separate Verses view, even though Paragraphs is ticked off, and even after I tried Paragraphs With Space and back to Paragraphs. It is now stuck in Separate Verses view, which I can’t stand.

I’ve exited Acc with double click the Home button and swipe it up and off the screen, and restarted the iPad. It’s still stuck in Separate Verses view.

Meanwhile, the LXX in the parallel pane is in Paragraphs mode.

Regards,

Michel

Edited by Michel Gilbert

Not sure why you would change the global display settings for all installed texts if you just wanted to change the settings for this one module. To fix it for this module, tap on the double A icon in the toolbar for this module to bring up the quick display settings and then choose the All Display Settings at the bottom of the view which brings up the settings for this module only. Change it to paragraphs and you should be good to go.

Hi Scott,

I’m not sure why someone would question my preference for wanting paragraph view in every text I read, or assume I only wanted it for the HB.

Otherwise, thanks, that actually worked.

But, if I changed the global settings, why didn’t it change it for the HMT? When I followed your instructions it was set to Separate Verses. So it’s still a bug.

I just happened to be in the Display Settings area, and didn’t think about trying somewhere else. And, I thought “All Display Settings” were the same as “Display Settings” using the gear icon, and that “All” meant “Global.”

Regards,

Michel

Edited by Michel Gilbert

Sorry I wasn't questioning your preference for wanting to use paragraph mode for every installed text. But that was not the problem you described originally. It was specific to the font being used for the HMT-W4 module. And there is a quicker, more direct way to attempt this change than using the global Text module display settings. As you discovered the global settings are not always uniformly applied to every module. Some modules don't support every setting and other modules choose different defaults than what the global settings list.

This is the case for the HMT-W4 module. The font cannot be changed from Yehudit and the internal default for all original language modules is separate verses.

Hi again,

I don’t know how you could read my original post and its title and think my problem was specific to the font I wanted to use. I described the problem/what I considered a bug, and I described what I did differently before it happened - I tried to change fonts, and I did change the background color.

How are we supposed to know “the global settings are not always uniformly applied to every module,” etc? I watched the podcast on Acc Mobile and the Tutorial, and that wasn’t mentioned. I intuited that global settings under the gear icon should be global, so I didn’t think I needed to look anywhere else. This is learning through trial and error, and is quite frustrating. Perhaps many iOS programs are like this, and those who use them all the time and for years think this is intuitive. But to me it isn’t.

I am grateful you answered quickly and explained this to me. But I think that if a user wants to change global settings, and they go to the global settings area assuming their changes will actually be global in nature, there should be some warning that the preferred changes will not affect an entire set of texts.

Regards,

Michel

I too never realised the global settings for paragraphs did not affect every text.

I appreciate that global font would not affect certain texts but did not realise this was the case for paragraphs as well.

It would be worth indicating this in the help.

• Like 1