#140) Basic Greek Searches

Timothy Jenney

Another of our replacement podcasts is now available! #140) Basic Greek Searches replaces #11.1) (produced in 2009 with Accordance 8!). It covers the four different kinds of searching tagged Greek texts in Accordance (Root, Lexeme, Inflected, Tag) and how to type in Greek. We'll be following it up with a podcast on Advanced Greek Searches.

post-29215-0-18161200-1463408895_thumb.png

Edited by Timothy Jenney
  • Like 1

Will you plan to do a comparable episode for the intermediate and advanced greek searching that you taught during the webinars in podcast form?

I was in the training session yesterday for Advanced Greek and Tim said he is working on this presently. Not to sell your thunder there Tim. ;) 

No, problem, Ryan!

The "Basic Greek" webinar I've been teaching is more like "Baby Greek," since it teaches people with little or no Greek how to search for Greek words (e.g. with Key Numbers) and access Greek language resources. We've decided we should rename it Baby Greek for future sessions. Podcast #140, Basic Greek Searches, contains the information I've been covering in "Advanced Greek" the three basic kinds of Greek searches, using grammatical and syntactical tags, and just a bit about construct searches. We're renaming it "Basic Greek."

I am working on a podcast for release on May 26th called "Advanced Greek Searches." It will cover a bit more on Searching for Greek words and phrases, Searching and Amplifying to Greek Tools, and Researching Greek Texts and Tools. We've considered adding a webinar with the same title that would cover the same topics, but haven't made a final decision yet.

Hi, please feel free to delete this or ignore it but

I have been catching up on pod casts (as there is always a little gem in them) on my ipad.

139 played perfectly but both 138 and 140 wouldnt play properly when i clicked the links from this forum. They just stuttered.

So i went to the support tab and clicked on the pod cast list and both played no problem.

Returning to the forum and the links dont play properly again.

The only think i noticed was that the link to 139 on the forum is in slightly different format. (Im on fibre with download speed of approx 30 gig so dont think its my wifi).

Thanks for the feedback, Fraser! We'll check on it, but I think the difference is that my forums posts usually point to the podcast on our Accordance servers. The support page pulls them off of Vimeo's servers. I've been exporting the latest podcasts with a much higher data rate on the codec, so Vimeo has more to work with  when it does its proprietary compression. The podcasts are uncompressed on our own servers. We were also having some difficulty with our own servers this past week, so that may account for some of the difference.

BTW everyone, I've confirmed we'll be calling the older "Basic Greek" webinar "Baby Greek." The old "Advanced Greek" Webinar will be changed to something like "Greek Searches" or "Searching with Greek" to prevent confusion (not "Basic Greek," as I reported earlier). I'm going to finish up the upcoming Advanced Greek Searches and new Greek Construct Searches before I make any decision about an "Advanced Greek Searches" webinar.

Thanks, that makes sense

On the forum pages

139 is on vimeo, 138 is an mp4 on accordance, cant see what 140 link is on the ipad but it looks like to accordance server.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

I have been catching up on pod casts (as there is always a little gem in them) on my ipad. 139 played perfectly but both 138 and 140 wouldnt play properly when i clicked the links from this forum. They just stuttered. So i went to the support tab and clicked on the pod cast list and both played no problem. Returning to the forum and the links dont play properly again. The only think i noticed was that the link to 139 on the forum is in slightly different format. (Im on fibre with download speed of approx 30 gig so dont think its my wifi).

Fraser, I wanted to follow up with you on this. 

There are a variety of factors that could contribute to the stuttering. I do not believe there's anything different about podcasts #138 and #140 that would make them play differently. As Tim pointed out, he is linking to the full uncompressed file, and the link on the podcasts page of the website is from Vimeo, which adds compression. 

I ran a speed test and determined I was getting 45 mbps down on my iPad Pro, which should be more than enough, but I initially got a bit of stuttering, too. I paused the video for a a few seconds, hit play again, and then it was fine. I think it had to buffer a little bit. 

Again, various factors could play into it. The video could get slowed down if our servers were momentarily under a heavy load, or if a download stream on a user's end becomes uneven temporarily, or even if an iPad is an older model. 

On traditional computers, I can right-click on a video and choose to save it as a file and watch it after it's downloaded. That's often how I prefer to watch larger videos. However, I can't figure out a way to do that on the iPad--even to save it to Apple's video app, which would be nice. 

Tim is right about the recent videos coming at a greater quality and associated file size. He and I have already talked about perhaps just using the Vimeo link in the forums. And If anyone preferred access to the original uncompressed file, Vimeo even allows those to be downloaded, too. 

• Like 1

Rick

Thanks. I just wanted to flag it and understand the difference and know what to look for. If i have a problem with the ones with accordance links, i can flip to the other set of links.

Unless you get inundated with others experienceing problems, please continue as is.

;o)

Ps, yes, i know we all need to upgrade to the ipad pro! Message received loud and clear but my ipad 2 ( not air) still keeps going.

Edited by ukfraser

[chuckle] I went ahead and updated all the high-resolution podcasts to vimeo links, so everyone should be able to view them without issues. Thanks for the report, Fraser.

BTW, I can't keep up with Rick's tech purchases either. My iPad mini still works fine, as does my 2011 MBP.

Ps, yes, i know we all need to upgrade to the ipad pro! Message received loud and clear but my ipad 2 ( not air) still keeps going.

Sorry. I should have just written "iPad," but iPad Pro just seems to roll out of my finger tips.

• Like 2

It was meant to be a joke.

But i do wonder if the processor is also coming into play. I do feel it has got noticeably slower with the latest releases and part of me thinks i should have stopped on ios 8.

;o(

A hardware upgrade will be inevitable but it just keeps going and still does everything i need.

;o)

If it was an iPad 2, I imagine that is the main issue with these larger video files. The iPad 2 was a true workhorse, but it struggles with the current iOS and many apps. 

But no pressure from me to upgrade ;-)

• Like 1

That's okay, Rick, I heard they were coming out with an iPad Pro Air next week. ;)

• Like 2