PDF app for iOS

Anthony Sepulveda

Hello,

I'm looking for a good PDF Reader App for iOS that can play attached/embedded audio files that the PDF file might have. Would any of you guys have some experience and suggestions regarding this?

Thanks!

Bluefire is my preferred PDF reader/ epub book reader in iOS but I do not know if it can handle embedded media.... What about Apples iBooks it reads PDF and handles media in it;s own books have you tried it there?

-Dan

I've used GoodReader since 2010. It's excellent for PDFs and can also handle audio and video files.

GoodReader +1

I use forScore which is brilliant for pdfs , link to audio files and all kinds of other clever stuff (despite being designed for scores).

forScore by forScore, LLC

https://appsto.re/gb/iuJRv.i

Have tried a lot and still use adobe pdf reader for basic pdfs.

Adobe Acrobat Reader - View, Annotate & Share PDFs by Adobe

https://appsto.re/gb/Cxy-B.i

Like dan, not used embedded media though.

Edited by ukfraser

Today came a update to PDF expert from Readdle. Now support Apple Pencil.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

I had GoodReader for a long time and was tired because the UI didn't got any easier over the years.. GoodReader is good in working with PDFs.. but in my opinion it lags behind when it comes to file management (no app is here perfect.. hopefully ios10 will change that) 

Last year I tested Readdles PDF Expert (now in version 5.6 with better Pencil support (now you can work as you would like on a sheet of paper - writing with pencil and scrolling with your fingers AND true tone for iPad pro 9.7 (brilliant!))

- it also has a better Filemanagement. You can easily access your whole iCloud Drive (not only the app specific folder - so that I can have one copy of each file and edit it with PDF Expert even when  I originally created it with Pages etc.)

And it has support for embedded video and audio files in PDFs (since version 4). Also the developers are open to suggestions via Twitter etc.)

Nowadays PDF Expert is my favorited app because of the better file management and good annotating tools (and since today very nice support for my Pro 9.7 with the Pencil (paperless office dream))

I would recommend testing GoodReader (here a big update is promised) and PDF Expert (for the last one get the Free Documents App first and you can view PDFs and see if video/audio is playing)

Edited by JayDee

GoodReader's next release will include a major update to the interface.

When the iPad first came out in 2010, I evaluated GoodReader against Readdle's PDF Expert and a few others. GoodReader was the only app that didn't crash when displaying some very large (500 MB+) PDFs. I'm sure they've all improved since then, but GoodReader has always proved hardy for my needs. 

Thanks for these tips, guys!

Yep, this regards a PDF files that has audio attached. In my Windows desktop I could have access to these attachments by opening the Attachments pane, and double-click to play the attachments shown therein. Given this, perhaps 'attached' audio would have to differ from 'embedded' audio.

In iOS, I've tried iBooks and Readdle's free Documents app, and neither was able to have access to the list of attached files.

Anyway, I guess I'd have to keep looking...

I suggest you look at forscore, i attach mp3 files and use it for my excel manual pdf which is huge.

Plus you can edit and annotate and crop and lots of other clever things.

It just handles pdfs but is very clever about what it can do.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Thanks for this one, Fraser! Based on your screenshots, it could be exactly what I'm looking for[...Score]. ;)

Would forScore have a free trial version, just in case?

The chap who developed it does an incredible job in maintaining it, bug fixed very quickly and he is forever adding new features.

I just discovered that the Adobe Acrobat Reader app can also open the attachments. The only problem is that when the audio plays in a different screen, and when I try to go back to the text, the audio stops playing. The workaround would be to copy the attached audio file to another program and play it from there, and then go back to the reader app to work alongside the text. A bit clunky there, but at least the app is for free (I'm still thinking about purchasing forScore, just for this purpose).

They are the two i use but forscore is exactly what you want. I have the music playing while i learn a new score.

With the airturn i am totally set. I went to a concert the other day and it was a solo sax player who had it set up that the music changed pages automatically, he had his orchestral backing track playing and was reading music. But then, thats what its designed for.

I think i paid about £1.99 for it about 4 years and never used paper scores since and its never let me down leading a service.

;o)

I suppose it could handle several attached files, right (e.g. to learn several versions/variations of the same piece)?

So the price has more than tripled since then; but I guess it would be a 9.99 USD worth spending, if ever I'm going to use it often...anyway, I'll still think about it some more.

Just added 7 files and not sure if there is a limit and can be from itunes or audio files.

If you check out his web site, you can download the manual.

Always a toss up between cost and convenience.

For me, its the best app i have and the best supported and it sets the standard for me on how i wish all my apps were supported (one i bought in 2009 was updated in 2011 which broke it and we had to wait till 2013 for a fix and it still hasnt been updated since then si more bits are getting broken with each ios update). But that's another story.

Glad hes put the price up as it really leads a very crowded pack of pdf apps.

This is what the playback screen looks like while you are selecting the linked file, as soon as you tap the main screen, this control hides