what's wrong this search?

sunmin Cho

I tried to find the Greek word, "politeia," to see how many times it appears in the New Testament. I put this word and got the result that it appears once in Acts and once in Ephesians. Now, since I found out that it appears only once in Ephesians, I put [count 1] [AND] [range Ephesians]. However, the result of that search did not show me "politeia." Is there any mistake that I made?

The [COUNT] command is the only time that it makes a difference how you do the Range. Using it with the [RANGE] command gives you all words in Ephesians that occur only once (or whatever you specified) in the entire text. If you instead just search for [COUNT 1] and set the Range pop-up menu to Ephesians, you will get every word that occurs once in Ephesians, no matter how often it occurs in the rest of the text.

I would add, while it can be difficult to remember those two distinction, when Accordance introduced these two distinct functionalities, it opened up a whole new range (pun intended) of powerful search capability. It is worth getting straight how these two functions work in your mind so you know you have them available to you.

Archived