Cleaning out my manuals and documents folder

R. Mansfield

Based on the attached graphic, do you think it'd be safe to throw out everything older than, say...2006?

http://homepage.mac.com/rmansfield/assets/misc/manuals.png

Except for the Version Histories you can discard everything older than 2006, and download the new User's Guide for 7.4 which is only on the very latest CD-ROMs. The documentation that stays current with the version you have is now essentially the Help files.

How do you add custom images to folders like you have in your finder???

How do you add custom images to folders like you have in your finder???

1) Find a source for custom icons. One such place is the Icon Factory

2) download icons (they are usually--but not always--folders)

3) Click on the desired icon/folder in the Finder and press Option-Command-I. This calls up the "inspector" (which looks like the show info window, but works slightly differently)

4) in the inspector window, click on the icon image just to the left of the file/folder name; it will be outlined in blue.

5) press Command-C to copy this image

6) Navigate to the folder or file you want to have the image and click on it.

7) The inspector panel should change to the new file, if not, press Option-Command-I.

8) click on the image to the left of the file or folder name and press Command-V.

You can do this with icons for existing items on you hard drive. For example, I copied the iWeb icon and used it for the folder that contains my various iWeb domain files.

Lorinda, thanks for the help! Is there a way just to add an image over an existing folder icon?

Lorinda, thanks for the help! Is there a way just to add an image over an existing folder icon?

Actually, I used Folder Icon X (a great little program) to create those icons. But now I'm going to have to redo them because they don't match the new Leopard folders.

Except for the Version Histories you can discard everything older than 2006, and download the new User's Guide for 7.4 which is only on the very latest CD-ROMs. The documentation taht stays current with the version you have is now essentially the Help files.

Thanks, Helen.

Now as for my main Accordance folder, I've got files going back to 1997! What can I safely get rid of here?

http://homepage.mac.com/rmansfield/assets/misc/Accfolder.png

While you're posting screenshots, could you give us a sneak peek at Accordance's man search window running in Leopard? I'd like to see it, buy my copy of Leopard won't get here until Monday...

While you're posting screenshots, could you give us a sneak peek at Accordance's man search window running in Leopard? I'd like to see it, buy my copy of Leopard won't get here until Monday...

Sure thing. Here's a full-screen shot where I just threw up some stuff to create tabs all the way across so they can be seen in the new format. It's not that different from Accordance in Tiger except there are no more pinstripes (yay!).

http://homepage.mac.com/rmansfield/assets/misc/search.png

Thanks, Helen.

Now as for my main Accordance folder, I've got files going back to 1997! What can I safely get rid of here?

You can get rid of the Atlas movie, Accordance Help, Accordance tool sets, and Map window.

You can get rid of the Atlas movie, Accordance Help, Accordance tool sets, and Map window.

Thanks. A little house cleaning never hurts--especially the first time in a decade!

Way off topic, but I noticed in your screen shot you had Summer's Greek in there. That is actually what I learned Greek from, but have been unable to find a digital copy of it. Where can I get it? Thanks.

Way off topic, but I noticed in your screen shot you had Summer's Greek in there. That is actually what I learned Greek from, but have been unable to find a digital copy of it. Where can I get it? Thanks.

I threw that in there simply to see if anyone would notice it.

I'm using the 1995 edition of Summers revised by Sawyer to teach my current Greek class. I've gradually been transcribing the book into a Users Tool section by section. It's not through yet but a work in progress. The trickiest part as been reduplicating the tables simply by using tabs, but it's working.

As for where you can get a copy, I'm not sure. I know that I cannot post it to the Accordance Exchange when I'm done because it's a copyrighted text. I wonder how legal it is to give a copy of it to someone who demonstrates ownership of a physical copy? That's an interesting question, but I don't have the answer. Maybe someone does. I certainly wouldn't mind sharing it if it could be done ethically and legally.

I wonder how legal it is to give a copy of it to someone who demonstrates ownership of a physical copy? That's an interesting question, but I don't have the answer. Maybe someone does. I certainly wouldn't mind sharing it if it could be done ethically and legally.

I would be more than willing to take a picture of me with my book. I will do a little research and let you know what I come up with.

I would be more than willing to take a picture of me with my book. I will do a little research and let you know what I come up with.

I'm perfectly fine with that, Justin, as long as we can stay legal.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm perfectly fine with that, Justin, as long as we can stay legal.

The legal issue from my understanding is that if you own the copy you are fine to insert into a program like Accordance. However, I am not sure about giving it another person who owns the book as well, that seems to me to be pushing the limits of the publishers wishes. So thanks for considering this with me, but I think (not know) it is best to just keep those type of User Tools for personal use.

The legal issue from my understanding is that if you own the copy you are fine to insert into a program like Accordance. However, I am not sure about giving it another person who owns the book as well, that seems to me to be pushing the limits of the publishers wishes. So thanks for considering this with me, but I think (not know) it is best to just keep those type of User Tools for personal use.

Well, when I get it finished (and it will be a while since I work on it sporadically), maybe we can get permission for me to share it with you. I know a few folks at the publisher :-)

I know a few folks at the publisher :-)

Awesome!

Archived