Old editions of the NICNT

jtwhitford

I'd really like to have some of the older editions of the NICNT available in Accordance. Having read through the information on the site about this continuously updated series (http://www.accordancebible.com/UPDATED-New-International-Commentary-Series/), I'd like to request some of the originals to be offered for individual purchase. 

In particular, I'd like:

• John Murray's commentary on Romans
  • Ridderbos on Galatians
  • Leon Morris on Thessalonians

I'm pretty sure these are all available for Logos, but I'd rather not have to switch back and forth from program to program.

I'd really like to have some of the older editions of the NICNT available in Accordance. Having read through the information on the site about this continuously updated series (http://www.accordancebible.com/UPDATED-New-International-Commentary-Series/), I'd like to request some of the originals to be offered for individual purchase. 

In particular, I'd like:

• John Murray's commentary on Romans
  • Ridderbos on Galatians
  • Leon Morris on Thessalonians

I'm pretty sure these are all available for Logos, but I'd rather not have to switch back and forth from program to program.

We can possibly look into this (again). We have gotten very few requests over the years, but I do understand that there are those out there whom still respect these works in their own right.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

I personally own 3 of the older works... 

Norval Geldenhuys, Commentary on the Gospel of Luke: The English Text with Introduction, Exposition and Notes, The New International Commentary on the Old and New Testament. (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1952).

​Is truly a wonderful work that I can easily commend as worth owning... Indeed most of the time i seem to get more out if it than the current Luke volume. 

And I do not think I have ever come across anything done by F. F. Bruce that was not a high quality:

21 The central purpose of Christ’s peace-making work, however, is seen most clearly in its bearing upon those who have heard the message of reconciliation and willingly rendered their submission, gratefully accepting the amnesty which the message holds out. Such were the people to whom Paul was writing.140 Once they had been estranged141 from God, in revolt against His authority. For sin is not only disobedience to the will of God; it effectually severs our fellowship with Him, and forces us to live “without God in the world” (Eph. 2:12). Hence men, estranged from the One in whom alone true peace is to be found, are estranged also from one another, and lead lonely lives in a universe which is felt to be unfriendly. The barrier which sin sets up between men and God is also a barrier set up between men and their fellows. That is why Paul, dealing with this matter of alienation and reconciliation in Ephesians, thinks of the most impenetrable barrier which the ancient world knew—the barrier between Jews and Gentiles—and describes how it has been abolished in Christ. When Jews and Gentiles are both reconciled to God in Christ, they are by that very fact reconciled to one another—a spectacle for unending wonder and praise in Paul’s eyes.142

140 With the passage beginning “and you …” (Gk. καὶ ὑμᾶς …) cf. Eph. 2:1 ff.

141 But not in the sense that they, as individuals, had ever been in any other relation to God than one of estrangement. Here, as in Eph. 2:12 and 4:18, the perfect participle passive ἀπηλλοτριωμένοι is equivalent to the adjective ἀλλότριοι. Cf. Eph. 2:13, “ye that once were far off.” As for their being hostile in their “mind” (Gk. διάνοια), it is noteworthy that in NT Greek, as in the LXX, this word corresponds to the OT “heart” (Heb. leb, lebab). See C. Masson, L’Épître aux Éphésiens, p. 159, n. 3.

142Cf. C. H. Dodd, New Testament Studies, p. 72. This reconciliation of Jews and Gentiles may be viewed as a microcosm of the larger and “macrocosmic” reconciliation one day to be revealed.

E. K. Simpson and F. F. Bruce, The Epistles to the Ephesians and the Colossians, The New International Commentary on the Old and New Testament (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1957), 211.

Posting this as an example.

Is there a high enough demand to acquire these works I do not know... I am not even 100% sure if i would duplicate the Luke, Ephesians/Colossians, James/John volumes I have (the later being one I think I got free that is not equal the other two in my mind from my current usage of them.

-Dan

I would especially like to see Murray on Romans.

• Like 1

+1

• 2 weeks later...

As the brother said, if nothing else, Murray's commentary on Romans would be great. It's been published separately in digital form through several venues.