UBS translator notes vs Metzger/NET notes

Ιακοβ

Hi Guys,

Great to see UBS Translator notes on sale at the moment. Would someone care to comment on how useful these are if someone already has Metzger and the NET Notes. 

I already check both of these regularly when reading the greek, I'm not sure if I would find the UBS notes too similar of overlapping to the Metzger/NET notes (and hence not bother with it).

Thanks!

• Like 1

Jacob,

posted a large slab from the acts handbook in response to Daniel's similar question yesterday. Should be under original languages.

A few things Fabian, and anyone else interested, that I notice comparing NET notes with the Acts portion Phil posted.

NETS is mainly oriented when commenting upon translation toward English. UBSHB by contrast frequently comments on how what may work in English won't always be satisfactory in other languages.

When I said the UBSHB seems to be about half a page a verse that seems to be close. There is a lot of material.

UBSHB provides examples from a variety of translations in its explanations. As a consequence you get a bit of a flavour of what they are trying to convey in their comments. (NEB, TEV, RSV, KJV, JB - not familiar with that one, oh Jerusalem Bible - oops, Phillips - again not familiar - TEV dominates for some reason).

It is true that in a number of cases NET and UBSHB comment on the same things with approximately similar remarks, though NET seems in the cases I've looked at to be briefer, though sometimes it's a matter of wording as much as anything else.

In 14:6 you see an example in NET where what has been suggested in UBSHB is in fact done - the pronoun implicit in συνιδόντες κατέφυγον is made explicit as "Paul and Barnabas16 learned about it17 and fled". NET notes mention this case as a tn explicitly. I do not say that UBSHB's advice here was the cause of course.

In the same verse both comment on the physical location of Lystra and Derbe saying essentially the same thing though again UBSHB is a little more fullsome :

As an example UBSHB :

Lystra was about 18 miles southwest of Iconium and held the rank of a Roman colony. Derbe was a frontier city of the providence of Galatia, though its exact location has not been established. According to some it was about 30 miles southeast of Lystra. Lycaonia was a district in the Roman province of Galatia.

UBSHB goes on to discuss other issues concerned with the cities relative location.

NET:

18    sn Lystra was a city in Lycaonia about 18 mi (30 km) south of Iconium, a Roman colony that was not on the main roads of Lycaonia. Because of its relative isolation, its local character was able to be preserved.

19    sn Derbe was a city in Lycaonia about 35 mi (60 km) southeast of Lystra.

In vs 9 interestingly neither comment on the possible confusion of referents for the pronouns in the second clause. Decker's Reader raises this issue and points to context for a resolution.

NET notes also tend to explain their own translation decisions which of course UBSHB does not.

NET makes fairly frequent reference to BDAG which I don't see in UBSHB. Of course in Accordance this is handy if you have BDAG as it's all linked up with a couple of clicks.

In the UBSHB snippet I am noticing a number of typos. So far they have not been confusing. I expect there may be reports to make if I pick the module up.

Overall I would say the UBSHB provides a good deal to think about. There is overlap certainly with NET but UBSHB is more extensive generally on rendering and examples. NET in contrast offer some details on handling on specific cases in their own translation.

Don't know if it helps anyone, but thanx again to Phil for the example to study.

Thx

D

Buy it!

• Like 1

I have the whole set, they are very helpful! 

I have the whole set, they are very helpful! 

Unfortunately I have only the UBS Translators' Handbook NT set in Accordance :(

Greetings

Fabian

Buy it!

Ok :D