Permissions problem on new install/migration

David Hamilton

I just did a clean install of Leopard on my MacBook. Rather than re-installing my (many!) Accordance discs, I followed the earlier instructions and copied the Accordance Folder into Applications, and the Accordance Permissions folder into user/Library/Permissions. (Actually this was already there from the User Files Migration).

I then installed the latest version of Accordance for fonts etc.

Now when I start the program I keep getting the error "The file General cannot be modified because write permission has been denied." I get the same error for "Startup Session" and "General" again when I try to close Accordance.

I've gone into Get Info and ensured that ALL files in the Accordance folder have read/write permissions for myself, but to no avail.

As they looked like preference files and startup sessions, I tried deleting them to see if they would be re-created okay, but that didn't work either. It was re-created, but still has the wrong permissions!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Have you tried repairing the permissions with the disk utility?

Sure have. Still no luck. Even if I delete the file "General" and Accordance recreates it when I start it, I still get the same error with the new file.

David

Is your Accordance folder in the root level or in /Applications?

Try quitting and moving the folder.

If your current user does not have administrator privileges, this can cause the problem.

I'm so glad I went to the trouble of doing a disk wipe and clean install for Leopard.

Is your Accordance folder in the root level or in /Applications?

Try quitting and moving the folder.

If your current user does not have administrator privileges, this can cause the problem.

I'm so glad I went to the trouble of doing a disk wipe and clean install for Leopard.

I did do a wipe and clean install as well. My user has admin privileges. I've tried recopying over the folder many times. I think I may be at the point of having to do a reinstall from the original disks. (ugh - I have about 10 of them, with all associated codes, etc.)

Two questions:

1. Did you actually copy the Preferences folder over the migrated copy in ~/Library/Preferences? If so, the folder itself may have incorrect access control list (ACL) information on it, resulting in the file errors you're seeing. In either case, I would remove the entire folder ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences, not just the individual files inside, and run Accordance again to recreate the folder and the default preferences.

Can you tell me what this command, typed in the terminal, yields?

ls -led ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance\ Preferences

2. Are you using the exact same username on your clean install of Leopard as previously? (I'm pretty sure this is not relevant, but just in case)

I did do a wipe and clean install as well. My user has admin privileges. I've tried recopying over the folder many times. I...

As Miagi wisely said, "Walk on left side road... safe. Walk on right side road... safe. Walk in middle road... get squished just like a grape."

David,

You did a clean install of the OS, but then tried to migrate your old app and preferences over, hence doing a little bit of clean installing and a little bit of migrating. A clean install means installing apps using their installers in many instances. When you drag a preferences folder and put it in place, the read/write permissions likely won't be set correctly.

Have a look at this Apple article for more info, and then see if you can fix the permissions on the preferences folder correctly using the Get Info dialog. You can also accomplish this with terminal commands. You never said where you put the Accordance folder.

• 1 month later...

I did the same thing but get a different error message on trying to install the updater:" Accordance quit unexpectedly"

Process: Accordance 7.4.2 Installer [1222]

Path: /Volumes/7.4.2_install/Accordance 7.4.2 Installer

Identifier: com.MindVision.InstallerVISE

Version: 8.5 (Installer VISE 8.5

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem after reinstalling after a disk crash. Reinstalling does not help, nor does fsck or disk utilities. Permissions look fine in finder and in terminal, but I get that same "no write permissions" error every time.

Have you checked the permissions in the user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences? Those are the files that keep getting written.

Archived