More Philo goodness

R. Mansfield

Having spent a good bit of time in Philo lately, I have three requests:

(1) I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'd really like to see a better English translation than Yonge's--preferably the translation in the Loeb series. All the numbering in the Accordance series follows the Loeb numbering anyway which is now the standard.

(2) There are no paragraph divisions in the Philo-T module. This drives me crazy.

(3) There's more content in the English Philo-E than in the Philo-T. Now, interestingly I looked up these extra texts in the Loeb series as well, and they happen to be one of the few Loeb editions that ALSO don't have an accompanying original language text! If I understand the issue, it's because there are no complete Greek manuscripts of these works, and some are even in a later Armenian Greek (if I remember correctly). The text in the Loeb set had to be reconstructed in a sense from the extant manuscripts. But Accordance has a number of modules with competing traditions for the same basic content. I'd love to see original language editions of the extra Philo texts that are already available in Accordance in English.

Archived