Let's see Your "Start Up" Page!

Tom

David, where's your Instant Details Box? Are you using the instant fade option? I hope you're not living without it!

Yes I do have it on the fade option. Right now I have it appear over top of the toolbar at the bottom of the screen to give me the most room for the main window. I also use the keyboard shortcut to turn the instant details on and off as I need it.

Just wanted to let you all know that I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread--so much so that it inspired a post on the Accordance blog.

I also enjoyed looking at the screenshots of others. I got at least one idea that changed part of my own setup.

I use a laptop, so I try and maximize my screen space. Here's mine:

post-4818-1214327711_thumb.jpg

After looking at others screens I have recently adjusted the look of my work space in Accordance. I love the Optima font because it is very readable, but I recently adjusted my font to the free Epigrafica. It is very similar to Optima, but it has a larger character set and is slightly bolder and more readable on screen in my opinion. The font is created with a very large amount of leading which also helps to be more readable. I have also used the background colors to create a shade of grey on windows that are not the main focus so the Biblical text is always highlighted.

I love seeing how other people use and organize Accordance.

William

This is great -- thanks for starting this thread!

Here's my general purpose startup workspace. I really like leaving plenty of space for my user notes, which in this shot are visible only in a tiny corner in the lower right, but once I open them with Command-U then they open in a window that exactly covers the large library window on the right margin. The dimensions fit the entire screen space available on my laptop, although this screen shot seems to open in preview enlarged for some reason. Because I am old and my laptop screen is not as clear as I would like, I use a large font: Bookman Old Style at 18 points -- for all Bible texts and commentaries. Other things, like Cross references, are set more compactly at Geneva 10 pts. I've set up other favorite workspaces as variations on this one.

PEACE

Kerry

PS: A quick note on the highlight palette, which I like to keep open to quickly select between various highlight styles. I have the following highlight styles: general significance, grammatical structure, and critical word. Because my research emphasis is the historical development of biblical interpretation, I also like to distinguish between theological, historical, natural and hermeneutical significance.

post-86-1214330921_thumb.png

Here's my page. I'm mainly using different Bible versions. I do a daily radio program in Spanish, so I have two Spanish versions open. I have the NIV and the ESV open, then use the KJV Strong's for a quick reference to what the original word is.

Tim Archer

Spanish-Speaking Ministries Coordinator

Herald of Truth Ministries

post-20299-1214332309_thumb.png

Here is mine. I like to see the whole Session to see how people organize their window space.

What English font are you using?

Edit: Nevermind, you posted it later on. Thanks!

Sean, this is just pure curiosity - what is the program icon with the Hebrew and Greek fonts right next to the Accordance icon in your dock? Hope you don't mind me asking on this forum ... just curious as I'm looking for a Mac online program to study the original languages and haven't had much success so far. I'm a diehard Accordance fan and wouldn't switch to any other Bible software!

That icon is for Online Bible (http://www.online-bible.com/maconlinebible.html). It's a free module-based Bible program. Many of the modules are free; a reasonable collection of modules is available for sale. While quite useful, it lacks the polish and power of Accordance.

I used Online Bible for several years mainly because it was free and fast

What English font are you using?

Edit: Nevermind, you posted it later on. Thanks!

The later post had a different font, Epigrafica. The first post I was using Adobe Garamond Pro.

This is a great thread. I'm using a 24" 3.06GHz Imac with 4gigs of ram. Having the extra real estate is a blessing. There are a lot of windows that opens when I first load Accordance (I have them set up as detached windows so when I click on a reference verse or dictionary the windows come to the front ,yet I can still see the main window below the popup window. If there is a better way of doing that I would appreciate any help...Thanks, Joe

post-18786-1214480888_thumb.jpg

This is a great thread. I'm using a 24" 3.06GHz Imac with 4gigs of ram. Having the extra real estate is a blessing. There are a lot of windows that opens when I first load Accordance (I have them set up as detached windows so when I click on a reference verse or dictionary the windows come to the front ,yet I can still see the main window below the popup window. If there is a better way of doing that I would appreciate any help...Thanks, Joe

I really like how you've made the notes column smaller. Very clever!

This has definitely been one of my favorites threads. I love to see how others have their Accordance set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi William,

Where did you get font Epigrafica?

I checked all the fonts within my Accordance version 8.0.2, and it's not there.

Thanks.

After looking at others screens I have recently adjusted the look of my work space in Accordance. I love the Optima font because it is very readable, but I recently adjusted my font to the free Epigrafica. It is very similar to Optima, but it has a larger character set and is slightly bolder and more readable on screen in my opinion. The font is created with a very large amount of leading which also helps to be more readable. I have also used the background colors to create a shade of grey on windows that are not the main focus so the Biblical text is always highlighted.

I love seeing how other people use and organize Accordance.

William

Hi William,

Where did you get font Epigrafica?

I checked all the fonts within my Accordance version 8.0.2, and it's not there.

Thanks.

You need to download the font from here:

http://myria.math.aegean.gr/labs/dt/fonts/...-for-Screen.zip

And then install the font (the .ttf files) into your font manager program, Font Book.

Restart Accordance and they should be available.

Hi Williams,

Thanks for the link. When I installed .ttf files font into Font Book, I got this message: "Serious problems were found. Do not use this font." How come?

I have OS 10.4.11.

Any solution? Thanks for your help.

You need to download the font from here:

http://myria.math.aegean.gr/labs/dt/fonts/...-for-Screen.zip

And then install the font (the .ttf files) into your font manager program, Font Book.

Restart Accordance and they should be available.

Hi,

I like your Cross References column. Where can I find it in Accordance? (Sorry, I'm a new user).

Thank you for your help.

Cross References is a Reference tool that comes with all of the Library 7 and Library 8 levels (but not, it appears, with the Scholar's levels). If you have a collection that includes it, you can find it listed under the pane button with a 1:1 on it.

Here's more info, including a list of packages that include it.

Lorinda

Hi Williams,

Thanks for the link. When I installed .ttf files font into Font Book, I got this message: "Serious problems were found. Do not use this font." How come?

I have OS 10.4.11.

Any solution? Thanks for your help.

Not sure why. I am not using Font Book as my font manager, but instead the free Linotype FontExplorer X. The font works great for me using this program. Sorry for the problems with that font. I guess you could just try using Optima. They are very similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey - I just found this thread and found it very interesting (and it gave me some ideas). I had already chosen a couple of custom colors for my backgrounds. I use the highlighting extensively in the NASB, my favorite translation, so I had to choose a color that did not interfere with the marking I have already done. However, other colors work fine for Tools and other translations. Seeing what all of you had done encouraged me to make my Daily Reading window more colorful. The window in the screen shot is one that is saved, one I go to every day and update as my reading progresses through the schedule I use. Any new Text window will open in the light green - best for my highlighting. I use a separate window for commentaries and many of the other tools.

I, too, like the looks of the Optima font. I've been using Verdana for a while and like its clarity, too

After reviewing the others and tweaking my own workspace over and over I finally have a setup that seems to work well. I was inspired by some others on the discussion so you will likely see the influence.

I've scaled the screenshot down. The original screen size is 1920x1200.

Accordance workspace screenshot

The instant details is set to fade.

• 1 year later...

Hey folks.

Don't mean to pop up such an old post, BUT, I thought it would be a great idea to see what changes and layouts you guys are using since all the changes have been made. (Instant detail orientation?) Anyone willing to update your start up page screenshots?

Coming to this thread late, but thought I'd contribute anyways. Here's my startup screen.

(I use the free Fontin font, which I think has excellent readability at smaller sizes.)

Carl

post-84-125520163535_thumb.jpg

Coming to this thread late, but thought I'd contribute anyways. Here's my startup screen.

(I use the free Fontin font, which I think has excellent readability at smaller sizes.)

Carl

I used that format for my workspaces for years until I discovered how to amplify to favorite workspaces. My inspiration was the ESV Study Bible Podcast. Now I have a more streamlined work flow. Thank you Dr J B)

Jack

Thanks for the tip, Jack!

The problem with relying on amplifying, for my own purposes, is that I don't know without looking whether there is a cross-reference in any of the commentaries/notes I have; so I'd be forever amplifying each verse anyways. It's quicker and easier for me to just have multiple columns up all the time. At least, while my eyesight remains good!

Carl

Archived