I/O Error #-36 in the file "Startup session"

danieleburrow

Greetings!

After performing a complete reinstall of Accordance 8.0.1 (see the topic I added about a week ago in the technical support section), I have been able to prepare sermons without any further odd behavior--until today.

This "I/O Error #-36 in the file 'Startup session'" is the same one I was encountering prior to the complete eradication and reinstall of Accordance.

The error appears in a dialog box upon QUITTING Accordance.

When STARTING Accordance I am greeted with another dialog box that informs me, "An attempt to read or save data beyond the end of the file 'Startup session' has failed."

After clicking "OK" Accordance loads with what appears to be an empty session. What is quite odd is that I can enter (via the keyboard) Command+N to open a new "Search Text" pane and my old session will then appear. I can work with this until I click on any one of the tabs and then Accordance immediately dismisses itself. Argh!

Do I need to remove the "/~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences/Startup Session" file?

Has my copy of OS X (10.5.3) become corrupted? All of the strange Accordance behavior has been experienced since the 10.5.3 upgrade.

The console output is provided below in hopes it may help:

6/18/08 1:17:31 PM [0x0-0x60060].com.OakTree.Accordance[677] An unhandled exception occurred at $0070A160 :

6/18/08 1:17:31 PM [0x0-0x60060].com.OakTree.Accordance[677] EAccessViolation : Access violation

6/18/08 1:17:31 PM [0x0-0x60060].com.OakTree.Accordance[677] $0070A160

6/18/08 1:17:31 PM com.apple.launchd[176] ([0x0-0x60060].com.OakTree.Accordance[677]) Exited with exit code: 217

6/18/08 1:18:46 PM [0x0-0x63063].com.OakTree.Accordance[684] An unhandled exception occurred at $0070A160 :

6/18/08 1:18:46 PM [0x0-0x63063].com.OakTree.Accordance[684] EAccessViolation : Access violation

Please help...

Joyfully About My Father's Business,

Daniel

(Psalm 100)

I would definitely try removing that Startup session as a first step.

I would definitely try removing that Startup session as a first step.

The file was deleted, Accordance was upgraded to 8.0.2 (don't you all ever grow weary in all of your well doing?), and a new session was created.

After performing the above, I restarted Accordance and was once again greeted with the same behavior. Argh!

This problem is but one of several I've been slugging through over the past few weeks since performing the 10.5.3 upgrade. A fresh OS install and then applications install seems to be the best order of business. (As a former Windows IT guy, experience has taught me that oftentimes nothing good comes of attempting to track down what has been corrupted. It is much easier, less time consuming, and more comforting to one's soul to simply do a fresh install.)

The great reinstall adventure of Mac OS X 10.5.3 is my new "Daily Do" for today.

Joyfully About Our Father's Business,

Daniel

Philippians 4:8

Remember to check for that file in both Accordance Preferences folders: the Accordance folder and the user/Library/Preferences.

This problem is but one of several I've been slugging through over the past few weeks since performing the 10.5.3 upgrade. A fresh OS install and then applications install seems to be the best order of business. (As a former Windows IT guy, experience has taught me that oftentimes nothing good comes of attempting to track down what has been corrupted. It is much easier, less time consuming, and more comforting to one's soul to simply do a fresh install.)

I recommend you shake those Windows IT bad habits ;) and..

1. If you are having problems since your 10.5.3 upgrade then maybe try the combo update (versus using Software Update in the System Preferences)

Combo update

2. For software problems check out..

Software trouble shooting

For Accordance problems ...

1. Revert to your backup.

Backup recommendations

2. If you do not have a backup ..

The important things related to Accordance troubleshooting techniques to note from the post above are ...

If you simply delete your

~user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences

Accordance will recreate them from the Preferences in the Accordance folder so you will have your modules but you will lose your ranges, settings, arrangements of modules, etc.

As long as these Preferences are bad or corrupt (which can also happen occasionally in normal use since these files are constantly being updated), reinstalling Accordance will make no difference.

It is rarely necessary to reinstall everything, please do it only as a last resort.

The Preferences are the key to most issues with Accordance not running.

3. Clarification of your problem with startup session / Possible explanation of why Accordance was having problems.

I think there was a problem writing your 'Startup session' when you quit Accordance and you probably have Accordance load the last session when it starts. So if Accordance is trying to load a corrupt 'Startup session' then the application will be unstable/unpredictable from that point on.

Normally the solution to fix this type of file corruption problem is to delete the "~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences/Startup Session" file (in between Accordance sessions -- as Helen suggested). After deleting this file then run Accordance, open your default Bible Text and quit Accordance.

If deleting this file does not allow you to start Accordance normally then I think there are bigger problems that the Apple software problems link above should help identify.

4. Let us know what happens but (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE) you do not need to provide details on every step!

If you are still having problems after doing the 10.5.3 combo update and the Apple software problems link above then perhaps a call to technical support is in order.

Good Luck,

Mike

Archived