Basics of Biblical Greek

Justin Burt

I have noticed two different errors in the module "Basics of Biblical Greek". They are actually side by side. The first one is also a typing error in the hard copy. On page 77 it reads:

3. A nu drops out when followed by a sigma.

*tin + si -> tis

*tin + si -> tisi

In the first example of "tin + si -> tis" there is not supposed to be an ioda following the sigma. He is giving examples of the Nom sg and Dat pl case ending and how the nu is affected by the sigma. This is also in the hard copy so I don't know if you will be able to correct it or not.

In the second example the Accordance module has replace the nu in "tin" with a mu.

Here is a screenshoot.

Thank you, but please send such errors directly to me in future.

Thank you, but please send such errors directly to me in future.

Helen, I know you like to have errors reported you to you privately and not publicly, but I think it is important for users to know if there are errors in Accordance modules. Considering that we read the Scriptures, live by the Scriptures, study the Scriptures, and preach and teach the Scriptures to others, we need to know that we can trust the tools we use to do so.

I'm sure we would all recognise that unintentional errors will occur, but it's good that we are informed about it. Not everyone has the latest update or library CD, and not everyone is reading this forum on a regular basis.

Until the day comes when all Accordance texts and modules can be automatically corrected by downloading small patches and updates, perhaps you could send out a monthly email to registered users/subscribers with a list of reported errors/corrections, or find some other way to inform your customers about these errors.

Your customers will think of each update as an improvement to an already excellent product, not as a late bug-fix to a shoddy product.

Thanks for your understanding :)

The reason that I request that errors be sent directly to me, is not to keep them secret. It's simply easier for me to file the email and retrieve it when the time comes to remaster a CD. Keeping track of error reports is just one of the many hats I wear at Accordance. Usually I am too busy even to acknowledge the email, but at least I file it where it can be found when needed. (Right now I have several new modules for the exchange that have been waiting for a month to be posted, for example.)

We do post updates when errors are serious or systematic, but we simply cannot keep all our modules updated for every typo (and some of the errors are in the printed copy as well). I just noticed this week an entire missing verse in a Bible I've had for years, and it isn't a textual issue because the verse appears in other editions of the same text. Similarly we cannot remaster each disk when a new version of Accordance is available.

I am not sure whether it would be helpful to our users to post a list of typos that have been reported, even if it were feasible. How many would actually note and consult it? You cannot attach the correction to the module.

Archived