BDAG link error

Rod Decker

Triple-clicking ἑν in GNT links to εἰς (the preposition) in BDAG rather than the correct lexical form εἷς, μια, ἑν (the number). The instant details box has it parsed correctly, but it appears that the lookup in BDAG ignores the diacritics--but that procedure will generate numerous errors. I assume this is text-wide, but I was in Mark 4:8 when I noticed it. It does the same thing in the GNT-T module, so I assume it's the way the BDAG lookup is coded. Or perhaps it's the way the BDAG word index was built since that apparently doesn't have any diacritics--and "inflected form" is not an entry option in the BDAG search field. I don't see any way to search for the correct form in BDAG. If I enter "εἷς" (with the quote marks), it still finds εἰς rather than εἷς. The only way I can see to get there is to manually scroll to the correct entry.

I'd be glad to learn that I'm doing something wrong... but if this is the way Accord works in these situations, then it definitely needs to be fixed.

Accordance has always ignored the diacriticals when triple-clicking or amplifying. It will find all forms of εις and lets you click the Mark buttons to go to the next form. This may seem confusing in this instance, but, for example, in Hebrew there are many lemmas with the same letters, and this lets the user decide for himself which one is most appropriate in this situation.

Archived