Making scripture links in Haydock Commentary

Cathy Gramze

I have a text file of the Haydock commentary portion of the 1859 Haydock Douay-Rheims Bible. I am adding scripture links, a task I anticipate taking months. I'll upload it when I'm done. However, I have run into some issues.

1. Links to the early Church Fathers -I can't do anything with those, sorry.

2. A reference to 1 Esdras, with all the confusion that entails. My best guess is that it refers to Ezra, but the actual verse reference doesn't make sense to me if so. I am no scholar, so please correct me if I am wrong, or tell me what book he means. Probably one not in my D-R Bible.

and in Esdras ix. 6, the Levites address God, Thou hast made heaven and all the host thereof; and thou givest life to all these things, and the host of heaven adoreth thee

3. Frequent references to a source, by chapter and verse, as if scripture, by the abbreviation C. C. iii. 24

4. Why is Ecclus not recognized as Ecclesiasticus? What happened to 3 Kings? Oh, the references no longer in either a Protestant OR Catholic Bible!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this!

1. Links to the early Church Fathers -I can't do anything with those, sorry.

That is a limitation of User Tools. I have seen a suggestion, though to give those references their own formatting style (for easy identification). While you can't make them clickable links, users can select the reference and then choose an appropriate resource from the resource palette, which will search for that reference.

2. A reference to 1 Esdras, with all the confusion that entails. My best guess is that it refers to Ezra, but the actual verse reference doesn't make sense to me if so. I am no scholar, so please correct me if I am wrong, or tell me what book he means. Probably one not in my D-R Bible.

and in Esdras ix. 6, the Levites address God, Thou hast made heaven and all the host thereof; and thou givest life to all these things, and the host of heaven adoreth thee

I'm no expert, but maybe this wikipedia article can help you sort it out?

3. Frequent references to a source, by chapter and verse, as if scripture, by the abbreviation C. C. iii. 24

This might be the Song of Songs, which is sometimes known as the Canticle of Canticles, or the Song of Solomon.

4. Why is Ecclus not recognized as Ecclesiasticus? What happened to 3 Kings? Oh, the references no longer in either a Protestant OR Catholic Bible!

In some older Bibles, 1&2 Samuel were called 1&2 Kingdoms, and thus 1&2 Kings were 3&4 Kingdoms. So maybe 3 Kings is 1 Kings?. If you search for LXX1 in the ReadMes module, you'll find a list of book name changes, including these.

Lorinda

Thank you! I have most of my issues resolved, thanks to your advice and a more complete Douay-Rheims Bible online. No criticism of the Accordance D-R intended! It has all the standard canon in it.

The puzzling Esdras reference was to 2 Esdras, or Nehemiah and not Ezra. The words he was quoting just weren't in that verse of Ezra no matter how I looked at them. :blink:

You nailed the Kings situation perfectly. And I figured out Paralipomenon was Chronicles by myself.

The only thing left are those C references. They may be to to an early Church Father and not scripture, but they are not references to Song of Songs. The very first one I tried to look up didn't have that many verses in the chapter. :o

So I continue on my slow way, checking all the Psalms references to see if it's really the next number in most Bibles... :angry:

Oh, and I have no Readmes module, nor an LXX1. Version 8 thing? Perhaps I need to upgrade. Universal binary is a good reason.

You're welcome! :)

The Read Me modules may be new in Library 8. It contains the text of the read mes for various Accordance modules.

LXX1 (a tagged Greek text) has to be purchased separately, and you may well not need it. I suggested checking its Readme in the module only because I knew the name shifts were documented there. Turns out that the Douay-Rheims readme is in the module too, so that would actually be a better source for you. (And, you should have it somewhere on your hard drive if you have the Douay-Rheims module.)

If the reference uses just one C, rather than two, I suppose it might refer to Clement....except I think there's a 1 Clement and a 2 Clement. So on that point I'm stumped.

Lorinda

Archived