ESV Notes problem?

Graham

I was looking in the ESV Notes file for the note to Psalm 119:108 (there is a superscript '1' indicating a note next to the word 'my' although there is no note in the printed version). Here are the entire contents of that file for Psalm 119. Do I have a corrupted file, an old file, or is there some other explanation, please?

Psalms 119:1

*This psalm is an acrostic poem of twenty-two stanzas, following the letters of the Hebrew alphabet; within a stanza, each verse begins with the same Hebrew letter

Psalms 119:7

*Or your just and righteous decrees; also verses 62, 106, 160, 164

Psalms 119:13

*Or all the just decrees

Psalms 119:20

*Or your just decrees; also verses 30, 39, 43, 52, 75, 102, 108, 137, 156, 175

Psalms 119:32

*Or for you set my heart free

Psalms 119:33

*Or keep it as my reward

Psalms 119:84

*Hebrew How many are the days of your servant?

Psalms 119:00

*Or the elders

Psalms 119:12

*Or statutes; the reward is eternal

Would you also note that there is a reference to Hebrews 1:15 in the Henry Commentary on Psalm 119:108. That should read Hebrews 13:15.

I was looking in the ESV Notes file for the note to Psalm 119:108 (there is a superscript '1' indicating a note next to the word 'my' although there is no note in the printed version). Here are the entire contents of that file for Psalm 119. Do I have a corrupted file, an old file, or is there some other explanation, please?

I think the explanation is that it is easy to confuse the number "1" with the letter "l"

Both my print version and Accordance ESV (version 2.1) have the letter "l" there, indicating a cross reference -

[Hos. 14:2]

At the end of the verse there is a superscript letter "m" for the word "teach" indicating a cross reference -

ver. 12

There is a minor misprint, which doesn't cause a problem as the verses are in the right order. The superscript referring to the footnote "or the elders" is from verse 100 in the print version. The footnote file has this as Psalms 119:00 (should be Psalms 119:100). The next footnote is for Psalm 119:112 (footnote file has 119:12).

Graham:

The cross references are in a separate file for the ESV, so you need to open that in parallel with the Notes to see all the footnotes.

John:

Thank you for pointing out the misprints, we will correct them for the next rev.

Thank you both, Helen and John. I knew about the cross references, but as John pointed out I had confused an 'i' with '1.' In fact in the ESVS text I am using it still looks like a '1' to me, but then I probably need to get new glasses :rolleyes:

One more thing, in my copy of Psalms (Spurgeon) the comments on Psalm 119:1 are omitted, apparently.

Archived