Linking to an external document

R. Mansfield

From within user notes, what am I doing wrong in the example below when trying to link to a PDF?

http://homepage.mac.com/rmansfield/assets/Accordance/1kings3.5.jpg

I tried replacing the spaces with % but that did not seem to work either.

Okay, I definitely had the file path wrong. I remembered the recent blog regarding creating links titled "New Links within User Tools" and I also remembered reading about Joe's script for determining file paths. So I downloaded and ran the script which led me to this:

http://homepage.mac.com/rmansfield/assets/Accordance/1kings3.5b.jpg

But it still does not work. Does anyone know why?

I'm wondering if the problem is the fact that there are two periods in the file name?

Lorinda

I have thousands of these kinds of files, many of which have multiple periods. It would really not be practical for me to go back and rename all of them just so I could link them in Accordance user notes.

Now, I know that the wonderful folks at Oak Tree give and give, and often we simply lack contentment when we ask for more, but this kind of linking functionality just gets me thinking about how this could be even better.

Honestly, when you look at the example of the file that I am trying to link to, it looks really unattractive. Heaven forbid that I want to print my notes out for some reason one day.

What I would like to do instead is simply to highlight the title of the article and then right-click on it. Doing so should pull up a finder dialogue box which would let me navigate to the file I want and then after selecting it, the title simply becomes a hyperlink to that file.

Maybe something for version 9?

My comment about the multiple periods is just a guess. You might want to try changing the name of one file to see if that makes a difference. If it does, I realize that it's not practical to change the names. But it if doesn't, then at least you know that's not the problem.

I'd love to see the hidden links option, too. I seem to remember Helen saying they looked into it but it proved too problematic. But we can still hope!

Lorinda

I removed the period from the file name, but the link still doesn't work. I get this error message same as before:

http://homepage.mac.com/rmansfield/assets/Accordance/linkerror.jpg

Rick,

The issue is not the format of the link, but the fact that you're trying to do it in a user note. At this point, external hyperlinks are only supported in user tools. Sorry!

Well then, that explains that.

As I said, Oak Tree gives and gives and we just impolitely ask for more :-)

So here's my impolite "more" list in order of preference:

1. Ability to link to files in user notes (obviously)
  2. In both user tools and user notes, the ability to simply hyperlink text rather than hyperlink the file path. Again, this would look better when printing.
  3. The BIG one: ability in user tools to insert graphics (I know that these can by hyperlinked, but I'd prefer them right in the text just like the "professionally made" Accordance tools so that I don't have to maintain a separate directory of graphic files.)
  4. The OTHER BIG one: ability to include tables.
  5. Minor request: ability to import RTF files.

I realize #3 & 4 are especially complex, but I have so many documents I'd love to make into Accordance user tools if only I could add graphics and tables.

Also, while we're on the discussion topic, lately I've found out that an HTML file generated in Word 2007 for Windows imports into a new user tool BETTER than one from Word 2008 for Mac. Of course, that's a Microsoft issue, not an Oak Tree issue, but from now on, I'm creating all my HTML files for import from WinWord (sigh).

Archived